Sugarkryptonite

Singer 111 going out of time consistently

Hi guys,

Have my Singer 111 that has been working great for years. A few days ago I tried to sew something pretty thick (3/8"). I was turning the hand wheel by hand, not using the motor, and the needle/hook timing went off. I timed it back, it sewed ok on a couple layers of vinyl, tried it again on something thicker (a zipper with some 18 oz vinyl coated polyester tarp), and again, out of time. Timed it again, tried it AGAIN...AGAIN! Out of time.

What's going on here? I have a feeling that maybe there is oil on the lower shaft and the set screws aren't holding tight enough? Or maybe the set screw for the needle bar is not gripping enough? 

Starting to get pretty frustrating...

Also, on another subject; the little hook that sticks out next to the bobbin case...what is that for exactly? How is it suppose to be set? 

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

It sounds like either the needle bar or hook is slipping. This could be a simple matter of tightening down (or replacing) the appropriate set screws. But first, do the following things.

Set the needle bar height and hook timing according to the specs in the attached manuals. Or, watch this video by Uwe Grosse that shows all the steps and measurements to set the timing of a Singer 111 class machine spot on. When the timing is right lock down the needle bar, hook and timing gear screws so they can't move. If any of those screws have worn slots, replace them so you get the tightest adjustments possible. Your machine has a safety clutch that trips to disengage the hook drive in the event you get thread jammed in it (like from failing to hold back the starting threads). Make sure that the clutch has not been tampered with, disabled, or removed. It stands between clearing a thread jam, pushing a button and rotating the handwheel to resume sewing, or stopping work to retime the hook.

111W152_W153_W154_W155.pdf

USNavySinger111WConsew225REPAIR.pdf

Great answer, Wiz! Every screw on mine was buggered a little, so fixed them up. I'd only suggest that the needle clamp screw can also get worn to where getting it truly snug is not easy or obvious. Fix if possible or replace is the way to go - needles can slip down or get pulled down when tight in material - like 3/8" thick stuff. The "little hook" must be the hook-shaped bobbin case opener. Those manuals explain adjusting it too. Amazing that a machine with adjustments  close to spot on will run for years without issues!

19 minutes ago, Wyowally said:

Great answer, Wiz! Every screw on mine was buggered a little, so fixed them up. I'd only suggest that the needle clamp screw can also get worn to where getting it truly snug is not easy or obvious. Fix if possible or replace is the way to go - needles can slip down or get pulled down when tight in material - like 3/8" thick stuff. The "little hook" must be the hook-shaped bobbin case opener. Those manuals explain adjusting it too. Amazing that a machine with adjustments  close to spot on will run for years without issues!

Hi Wyo.

Yes you're right, I am asking about the "bobbin case opener" as you called it. I looked in the manual I have but didn't see it's name mentioned anywhere or how to set it. Have any advice for setting?

I got the machine running again. I think the screw holding the needle bar is worn out...where to get new ones? eBay?

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

The bobbin case opener is the common label in use for that j-hook shaped thingy. Page 15 in the USNavy manual (Wiz gave you in a link) describes exactly how I adjust it. Curious what manual you have Sugar?  I just spent a half hour trying to find a number for the needle bar set screw (maybe a "clamping" screw) with no success yet. Many suppliers sell the needle bar with the thread guide and needle screw.  Maybe one of the real experts can help.

6 minutes ago, Wyowally said:

The bobbin case opener is the common label in use for that j-hook shaped thingy. Page 15 in the USNavy manual (Wiz gave you in a link) describes exactly how I adjust it. Curious what manual you have Sugar?  I just spent a half hour trying to find a number for the needle bar set screw (maybe a "clamping" screw) with no success yet. Many suppliers sell the needle bar with the thread guide and needle screw.  Maybe one of the real experts can help.

Thanks I didn’t look at those, thought they were the same one I have. The one I have looks like the original Singer manual for the machine with a green cover. 

I’m in the same boat here. I need a new screw for the needle bar and can’t find it anywhere. I want to put an Allen head in it but I know this may not be possible because of standard threads on early model singers. 

2 hours ago, Thescandall said:

I’m in the same boat here. I need a new screw for the needle bar and can’t find it anywhere. I want to put an Allen head in it but I know this may not be possible because of standard threads on early model singers. 

from older thread here .

-

KeystoneMasterPagesScrews.pdf

-

Any link to the tap page 96 as shown on the pdf