Squilchuck

How to flatten coasters?

Anyone have a surefire way to flatten coasters? I've tried several ways of wetting and pressing, but none seem to work. I'm using 6/7 oz HO leather. You can see in the photo how they develop a slight wave after I thought they were dry and flat. Previous tries ended up slightly cupped. The problem is to press and dry them.  I got a few fungus spots from a previous method. -John  

WIN_20220102_09_17_21_Pro.jpg

set a cold beer on em! lol sorry couldn't help it.

Maybe stack them and set a weight on em for a week or so after they are dry.

Edited by chuck123wapati

I've had some luck by using a section of a large diameter PVC pipe to press the circumference, as that last embossing:2018_DSC_3386.JPG

2018_DSC_3388.JPG

2018_DSC_3391.JPG

2018_DSC_3393.JPG

2018_DSC_3390.JPG

2018_DSC_3394.JPG

2018_DSC_3396.JPG

2018_DSC_3397.JPG

2018_DSC_3400.JPG

Edited by Northmount
Removed duplicated photos per OP request

I have not had that problem with curling ,  I use 7/9oz leather

LOVE the pvc simple embossing   great idea

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

set a cold beer on em!

:rofl:

I recommend  using a thinner leather and line em.  In fact, line 'em with some 1/16" thick CORK, glued and sewn on.  The leather will STILL distort, but the cork with pull it and keep it flat (and also keep it from sliding on the table or counter).

I've made them out of thin, and thick leather. The thick worked better. Either thicker leather, or JLS' idea with cork. 

Having been a friend of Bill for over 17 years now I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you got your stamp. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, AA3JW said:

appreciate it if you could tell me where you got your stamp

Grey  Ghost Graphics   https://greyghostgraphics.com/

I then take the stamp and have it milled down to height to 0.918 inches, which is in the printing industry known as "Type High".  That allows me to use various metal letterpress letters and designs, in a chase, to emboss leather.  I have a little article dealing with embossing leather with letterpress type at:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgV6aH_FkHa5lBX_kNceroW2elQju_XW/view?usp=sharing  Here is a sample of what I make:

DSC_3338.JPG

I've just made x 30 coasters with  Christmas pics, for an elderly residence,  but they also double as a Christmas decoration, small hole and ribbon at the top. They were lined ' Christmas green' felt  underneath. Never had a problem with curling. They were 3mm veg tan . Antique dye was used, and hand painted Christmas pics with Cova Colour. Took for ever  :)

But yes, put a beer on them  , a large one  :cheers: :rofl:

HS

15 hours ago, stelmackr said:

I've had some luck by using a section of a large diameter PVC pipe to press the circumference, as that last embossing:2018_DSC_3386.JPG

2018_DSC_3388.JPG

2018_DSC_3391.JPG

2018_DSC_3393.JPG

2018_DSC_3390.JPG

2018_DSC_3394.JPG

2018_DSC_3396.JPG

2018_DSC_3397.JPG

2018_DSC_3400.JPG

Now that is good thinking. if a guy were to cut some design in the outer or inner edges of the pvc with a file you could add some interesting designs. simple scallops with a round file would be easy!

12 hours ago, stelmackr said:

Grey  Ghost Graphics   https://greyghostgraphics.com/

I then take the stamp and have it milled down to height to 0.918 inches, which is in the printing industry known as "Type High".  That allows me to use various metal letterpress letters and designs, in a chase, to emboss leather.  I have a little article dealing with embossing leather with letterpress type at:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgV6aH_FkHa5lBX_kNceroW2elQju_XW/view?usp=sharing  Here is a sample of what I make:

DSC_3338.JPG

I know without a doubt that I will never do that . . . won't be able to find the necessary equipment to do it with . . . but it sure was fun going thru the article and seeing how you did it.

Would love to come to your shop some day . . . we'd share a box of doughnuts . . . and together we could make a half dozen items.

I'm fascinated by new processes  . . .  have more process tools than most 4 or 5 guys combined . . .  but this is a new one for me to see.

Thanks for the info . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Man @Outfitrthat really looks great!  What do you line it with?

Thanks so much. I use whatever leather I have on hand. I think these are maybe a 5/6 on top and a 3/4 liner or two 5/6. I do the same on the holder too. Although makes for quite a bit of stitching.

20211224_085948.jpg

Hello from the other side of Washington!  I use 7/8 for mine. Finish with resolene then massage them until they lay the way I want.  Always seems to be a little cupping, if I cut them from the edges, a lot! Especially if it's a belly cut. My last ones, I glued a piece of 4/5 to the back. Made a big difference.