unioncreek

Wet forming holster?

I'm very much an amatuer when it comes to leather work.  I've read some post on wet forming using a vacuum pump and vacuum seal bags.  Are the vacuum seal bags something special, I'm not familar with them.  Also, when you vacuum form the leather do you use the actual pistol or a blue gun?

Is there a write up anywhere about wet forming leather for holsters?

Bob

9 hours ago, unioncreek said:

I'm very much an amatuer when it comes to leather work.  I've read some post on wet forming using a vacuum pump and vacuum seal bags.  Are the vacuum seal bags something special, I'm not familar with them.  Also, when you vacuum form the leather do you use the actual pistol or a blue gun?

Is there a write up anywhere about wet forming leather for holsters?

Bob

As stated earlier I use a vacuum pump designed to evacuate an air conditioning system prior to re-charging it.  It will pull close to a 30 inch vacuum . . . which will suck wet leather down against the model blue gun or real gun . . . and not think twice about doing it.

I use a special plastic bag I made myself from clear vinyl bought at Joann Fabric store . . . edges sealed with Weldwood contact cement.

A vacuum pump and vacuum seal bags that is nothing more than a food protection device cannot pull that kind of vacuum . . .  and if it could . . . I would think it would suck a hole in the bag . . . but I do not know that for certain . . . it may not.  But I've seen meat protected that way . . . and it is a great system for that.

I just don't think it has the muscle needed for forming holsters.

And . . .  it depends on what is going on . . . sometimes I use a blue gun model . . . if I have it . . . sometimes the actual gun . . . sometimes a wooden model I have made in my wood shop.  They all work about as well . . . one or the other . . .whichever I use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you Dwight.  Do you have a photo of  your rig in action?

God bless,

Mike Rock

Pastor Bob, that Adams site is funky.  The various pages only stay up a few seconds then go blank.  I was able to look at one very out of focus photo for a few seconds.  I'm running Firefox.

Edited by MikeRock

Over on y-tube (pronounced WHY TUBE) just type in "wet form leather holster" or "vacuum form leather holster".  You'll find some there.  Clearly, I need to set aside some time to show this clearly -- so that there's a video showing this but involving some TESTOSTERONE ... you know, like a GUY could do it. :rofl:

I have a bag... see if I can find a pump similar to the one always gits talked about ...

Meanwhile, many people tell me they use a regular "food saver" system (and I believe 'em - no reason that wouldn't work).  Only need a bag about 12" across for the vast majority of holsters (sure enough, soon as I say "all", somebody will show up with a 10" barrel on a cannon ;) )

1) you don't need a vacuum bag - a bajillion holsters are made without that
2) IF you use a vacuum, you can use a "dummy" gun OR your actual (unloaded) pistol - make no difference.  Be sure to cover any exposed sharp points that might puncture the bag

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks for the info guys.  I have a couple of vacuum pumps and have made kydex holsters in the past.  I've recently retired and need a hobby I can do in our house in the evenings.

I'll check out YouTube and the link above.

Thanks,

Bob

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

1) you don't need a vacuum bag - a bajillion holsters are made without that

Right. All I used were quick grip, non-marring clamps.

Till last week or so I didn't even know such things as vacuum pumps (well, other than the ones for freezing food) existed. I first came across them whilst watching woodworking videos wherein they were being used for gluing large pieces. Never did I think they could be used for leather work. :o

2 hours ago, unioncreek said:

have made kydex holsters in the past

no different - just the kydex gets heated and the leather gets wet .. otherwise same animal

14 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Thank you Dwight.  Do you have a photo of  your rig in action?

God bless,

Mike Rock

Pastor Bob, that Adams site is funky.  The various pages only stay up a few seconds then go blank.  I was able to look at one very out of focus photo for a few seconds.  I'm running Firefox.

Mike . . .  check the video I posted on the vacuum bag.

May God bless,

Dwight

are you going into holster production for a business? I just wet my holster and form by hand, no need for a vacuum, unless you plane on doing a lot in a day.

22 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

are you going into holster production for a business? I just wet my holster and form by hand, no need for a vacuum, unless you plane on doing a lot in a day.

No, not going into the business.  I'm planning on making holsters for all my kids and wife.  I already have a couple of vacuum pumps, so the equipment investment would be small.

Bob

its real easy to mold by hand. I just soak the holster in pretty warm water for about a min, then I use a Sharpie and the wood handles of my leather tools to form it. Takes no time at all.

13 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

its real easy to mold by hand. I just soak the holster in pretty warm water for about a min, then I use a Sharpie and the wood handles of my leather tools to form it. Takes no time at all.

How long does it take to dry?  I dip mine for about 10 seconds and it seems to take a couple of days for it to dry out.

27 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

How long does it take to dry?  I dip mine for about 10 seconds and it seems to take a couple of days for it to dry out.

i leave the gun or knife in the holster till next morning, they are usually dry on the outside but by the end of the day all the way through, i live in a desert however even in the winter there is almost zero humidity.

53 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

How long does it take to dry?

that's going to depend on your location 'n' humidity 'n' stuff.

Up here in Iowa, I WET a holster, good bit of warm water.  mold a holster, do whatever initial shaping, set it off to the side. Maybe in an hour I'll check it, do some further detailing .. and hopefully at that point it's set up enough to pull the gun/mold.  then set it in front of a fan (at room temp) and let it sit, usually overnight before I touch it again, though that's because I'm not working, not because the leather isnt' ready.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

i leave the gun or knife in the holster till next morning, they are usually dry on the outside but by the end of the day all the way through, i live in a desert however even in the winter there is almost zero humidity.

54 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

that's going to depend on your location 'n' humidity 'n' stuff.

Up here in Iowa, I WET a holster, good bit of warm water.  mold a holster, do whatever initial shaping, set it off to the side. Maybe in an hour I'll check it, do some further detailing .. and hopefully at that point it's set up enough to pull the gun/mold.  then set it in front of a fan (at room temp) and let it sit, usually overnight before I touch it again, though that's because I'm not working, not because the leather isnt' ready.

Thanks for that feedback.  Humidity is better since move to Missouri, compared to Atlanta for sure.  How long are you guys soaking your holsters?  May be why I struggle to get really good exterior molding...I am not soaking it long enough.

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Thanks for that feedback.  Humidity is better since move to Missouri, compared to Atlanta for sure.  How long are you guys soaking your holsters?  May be why I struggle to get really good exterior molding...I am not soaking it long enough.

i use the same rule of thumb as tooling, i get it wet all the way through but not soaking wet i run it under the tap on both sides till it all looks wet. then stick the object in it and let it set and check it till its workable, then form it with my hands. The way i figure it is  the leather will mold best at the same dampness as tooling works best. Same with burnishing the edges. 

Now i dont do a lot of  those retention type holsters with all the definition but mine are formed to the weapon to create a good tight fit. Dwights video on wet molding is about the best one i've seen on the actual forming procedure. i liked the idea of the plastic layer between the tool and the leather even if vacuum wasn't applied. i think it would take out a lot of unwanted tool marks dont know though so i may have to try it out.

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

....... i liked the idea of the plastic layer between the tool and the leather even if vacuum wasn't applied. i think it would take out a lot of unwanted tool marks dont know though so i may have to try it out.

Yeah . . . :) . . . it does . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

9 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Yeah . . . :) . . . it does . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

ahaa moment! Thanks Dwight again.

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

How long are you guys soaking your holsters? 

You CANNOT accidentally "over" wet it.  CANNOT be "too" wet.  Now, it doesn't need to be DRIPPING and SOAKED, but if it got that way it WONT HURT ANYTHING. Gonna take a bit longer to dry, but no harm done!

I've made a lot of holsters and done a lot of tooling, and I can tell you my holsters ARE DEFINITELY WETTER than my tooling leather (except holsters which are tooled).  Chuck has posted some nice lookin' rigs, so if he does it a different way is just evidence that theys more'n one way skin a cow.

Seriously, I get a big bowl of clean warm water.  Drop the holster right in it, completely submerged.  Wait.  Longer than a few seconds.  If you have to potty, now is a good time ;)  Or not.  Honestly, I probably did "time" it, but would have been so long ago I just go by how it feels now.

Right I never worry about getting to wet. Heres a tip if drying time or humidity is a concern you can pop it in the oven for a few hours. Low heat lowest your oven will go.Check it every hour or so. If you have heat vents in the floor and its winter set it on the heat vent till dry.  I live in the desert allso Lots of hot sun. I wet mold in the morning then set out in the sun, pull out the what ever late afternoon let set till midday next and your golden. Also you can make a drying box out of cardboard and a hair dryer, works awasome.

Edited by Bert03241

Veneer supplies. I bought my 2x2 bag and kit from them. Pretty painless. 

Veneersupplies.com

Edited by Hags
Spelling

A rudimentary approach, I bought my seal in bags from Amazon 12 x 12 and used my 2.5 hp wet/dry vacuum cleaner.  Not anywhere near as nice as what you guys are doing but it's a start.  

My vacuum got destroyed when my cleaning lady used it to pick up some spilled liquid and didn't clean it.  It got mold so I threw it away.  I replaced it with a 4 hp vacuum and can see a big difference in the suction.

As time goes by I'll buy the pump from Harbor Frieght.  

Avenger  1911 Holster.jpg