Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

HideCo, LLC assumed ownership of Hide Crafter

I recieved a letter in the mail yesterday from George Hurst, founder of Hide Crafter. In the letter, it stated that on August 22nd, a group of investors, HideCo, LLC assumed ownership of Hide Crafter. The letter states that "this is good news- it means that we will be able to keep the company open. It also means that we have new resources to bring you more and better deals on leather and leathercraft supplies." The letter also says that you will be seeing changes over the next several months. Some product lines will change, and all the pricing needs to be reviewed since it has been almost two years since they have published a price list. With the dramatic inflation in the price of hides, metals and frieght, some increases are to be expected, but they will try to make it as painless as possible. They are also working on a new catalog and improvements to thier website to make it easier to use Hide Crafter as a leathercraft supplier.

Just wanted to pass that info on for those of you that didn't get the letter.

Since you leather folks have been incessantly Googling to see an official announcement, and one isn't coming, if it hasn't come by now, to the best of my knowledge the owners are now: Lindsay Fink, of SX Industries (a hardware manufacturer), Jeff Ballard, of Thoroughbred Leather, and Greg Sartor of Silver Creek Leather. The name is legally Hide Co. dba Hide Crafter Leather Co. if my multiple sources are correct. It goes without saying that we here at leatherworker.net wish the new company every success and look forward to a bright leatherwork future.

I hope nothing but the best to George Hurst, too, for he will always be one of the real "Legends in Leathercraft" to me.

Johanna

Any idea when they are going to have their catalogs available?? I ordered a catalog from them back in Aug and still dont have it.

I haven't heard anything about the catalog lately and their website hasn't been updated since March. There was an announcement in the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal that said they were bought by HideCo.LLC, an investment group led by Greg Sartor, owner of Silver Creek Leather Company, and comprised of industry professionals who have a long standing relationship with HideCrafter's owner, George Hurst. It goes on to say that the members of HideCo are individuals who have companies that currently supply key components to Hide Crafter Leather as well as other distributors and manufacturers. It sounds like the retail store will remain at it's current location in Fort Worth with Ron Stuhlman continuing as manager. George Hurst will stay on as Creative Director to develop tools, kits, patterns, and instructional DVD's.

If you have any questions, give them a call. Maybe your catalog request got misplaced somewhere while all this was going on. They have always been really good to deal with and I really hope they can continue on with what George started.

This should be old news by now, but Anne Newkold who worked for them and did a lot of this stuff has taken a position with Artisan. I think Hidecrafter may be a little light on staff right now. Hidecrafter has some problems and it might take a little time to shake them out.

Art

I haven't heard anything about the catalog lately and their website hasn't been updated since March. There was an announcement in the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal that said they were bought by HideCo.LLC, an investment group led by Greg Sartor, owner of Silver Creek Leather Company, and comprised of industry professionals who have a long standing relationship with HideCrafter's owner, George Hurst. It goes on to say that the members of HideCo are individuals who have companies that currently supply key components to Hide Crafter Leather as well as other distributors and manufacturers. It sounds like the retail store will remain at it's current location in Fort Worth with Ron Stuhlman continuing as manager. George Hurst will stay on as Creative Director to develop tools, kits, patterns, and instructional DVD's.

If you have any questions, give them a call. Maybe your catalog request got misplaced somewhere while all this was going on. They have always been really good to deal with and I really hope they can continue on with what George started.

I stopped in there while I was at the show in Ft. Worth. It seems business as usual but there was tention in the air as with any business that changes ownership. I was told that a new cataloge is in the works and should be out by spring.

I will miss dealing with Ann. I wish you luck. I do have an Artisen so maybe we will still talk..

Randy

ordered some stuff about 2 weeks ago. called monday to find out whats up with my order. they said they couldn't find my order because there computers went down but would check on what happen to it..called back and said said they found it but who ever took the order they couldn't read thier writing and said they would give me free shipping..i'm glad i called nice peaple and thanks again for the free shipping.. :specool: when you live in Hawaii thats is cool!!!

Edited by hiloboy

I guess I was just to impatient, got home last night and it was in my mail box.

Supprisingly, today I got (in mail) the same Hide Crafter 10th anniversary catalog. It had what appears to be the same price list (effective Jan 2007). Don't understand. When I saw the envelope, I thought "wow their new catalog". Not so???

While in Ft. Worth for the IFoLG show, I had the oprotunity to visit Hide Crafters. While there I met one of the new owners (Greg Sartor) and we talked for some time. From what he told me about the catalog, a new one is being made up, but won't be available until some time in the spring. So the current catalog is the one being used until the new one comes out. Greg Sartor also told me that the new owners had all kinds of good plans for the company. A lot of the current items will be continued, but they will also bring in a lot of new items never before sold by the store. I guess we will all have to wait a little longer for things to happen as it won't happen over night.

From what I did see in the store, there were several empty bins. Most of these are the items being discontinued. The full bins were full to overflowing in many cases. If you want a lot of concho's, most of the concho bins were full and I have never seen so many concho's in one place as what was on display and what is for sale. There was also a large selection of patterns and DVD's. Tools were at full capacity from what I saw. The leather selection was large and many people who I saw in the store were busy shopping and buying. I am awaiting the new catalog and hate the idea that I have to wait as long as I have to. But you can still use the old one until the new comes out.

Thank you all for your good wishes with my new job at Artisan Sewing Supplies! This opened a whole world of opportunities for me. I am hoping in the future to get to still attend some of the Trade Shows, so I do hope to still get to see some of you in person. Jerry, Steve and Dave are a great bunch to work with.

I love living in CA! I have even had more opportunities to get to sit down and do more Leather craft than I did in TX.

I do wish Ron Stulhman and Betty Goldsmith and George Hurst at Hide Crafter's the very best of futures.