chuck123wapati

tooling maul weight

What is everyone's opine on a good maul weight for tooling? I'm planning on making a new one this week.  mine is to puny for some of the larger surface area stamps and such. I'm thinking about 20 oz. with some adjustment.

I just have the one maul.  Also only have one nylon hammer.  Mine probably weighs 24 oz. (1.5#). I use it for everything, just adjust the amount of force depending on the size of stamp. Or adjust the number of whacks.  When doing basket weave stamp,  I normally whack it once or twice.  for my maker's mark (1" x 1") I whack it 2-3 times really hard.  Anything larger than that, I put in the arbor press.

Make sure to send pics when done.  I would enjoy seeing your creation.

Edited by PastorBob

I use a bk 16 oz maul for almost all of my carving, then I keep a 24 oz around for all my basketweave stamps. Unless I'm carving on 12 oz or thicker leather I use the 16 oz exclusively and it seems to be the perfect weight, plus it doesn't really cause any fatigue after using it all day, and you'll definitely want it tapered, IMHO 

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

I just have the one maul.  Also only have one nylon hammer.  Mine probably weighs 24 oz. (1.5#). I use it for everything, just adjust the amount of force depending on the size of stamp. Or adjust the number of whacks.  When doing basket weave stamp,  I normally whack it once or twice.  for my maker's mark (1" x 1") I whack it 2-3 times really hard.  Anything larger than that, I put in the arbor press.

thank you I will 

1 hour ago, DustinSmith said:

I use a bk 16 oz maul for almost all of my carving, then I keep a 24 oz around for all my basketweave stamps. Unless I'm carving on 12 oz or thicker leather I use the 16 oz exclusively and it seems to be the perfect weight, plus it doesn't really cause any fatigue after using it all day, and you'll definitely want it tapered, IMHO 

thanks i, m using a wooden maul right now about 12 oz. lol but its worn out and needs an upgrade 

16 oz maul for most stamping, 48 oz for geometric, 8 pound for punching or die cutting (also mallets range from 8 oz to 4 lbs)

2 hours ago, oltoot said:

16 oz maul for most stamping, 48 oz for geometric, 8 pound for punching or die cutting (also mallets range from 8 oz to 4 lbs)

no wonder my geometrics are so shallow lol. Thank you

On 1/3/2022 at 7:47 AM, PastorBob said:

well i have it pieced together, I'll shiny it up a bit tomorrow lol. 18oz is what it came out to. The head is an old 1/2" cutting board figured i didn't need a new piece just to beat up lol. 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, oltoot said:

Guess I'll be making two thank you for your help.

maul1.JPG

That's a great looking maul! Very nice!

Well, Dustin, you 'beat' me to it!  Now imagine what a four pounder will look like.

Nice work, Chuck.

God bless

I have a 16 ounce and a 36 ounce.  I use the 36 whenever I do basketweave and I think it come out better that way.  I also use it when I'm punching holes.  It's easier on my hand and I don't knock too many things off the bench when using it.

That is a good looking maul, Chuck!

I think it’s great that you are making your own maul.  It looks nicer than the one I use.  Very impressed,  Thanks for sharing that.

8 hours ago, BoxerMel said:

I think it’s great that you are making your own maul.  It looks nicer than the one I use.  Very impressed,  Thanks for sharing that.

thank you, making the tools is half the fun.

9 hours ago, jrdunn said:

That is a good looking maul, Chuck!

thank you

13 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Well, Dustin, you 'beat' me to it!  Now imagine what a four pounder will look like.

Nice work, Chuck.

God bless

Thanks Mike Yes now i  have to find some heavier head material lol.

14 hours ago, DustinSmith said:

That's a great looking maul! Very nice!

thank you!

Wow! very impressive.  I wish I had the tools / machinery to make something like that.  Would be tough to do with a grinder and chop saw.  Oh, wait, I do have a sander too. LOL.  Did you just replace the hitting surface on an old one or did you do all the brass and wood from scratch as well?  Either way it looks great.  Thanks for posting the pic.

2 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Wow! very impressive.  I wish I had the tools / machinery to make something like that.  Would be tough to do with a grinder and chop saw.  Oh, wait, I do have a sander too. LOL.  Did you just replace the hitting surface on an old one or did you do all the brass and wood from scratch as well?  Either way it looks great.  Thanks for posting the pic.

Thank you Pastor

lol the only three things i used besides a grinder, chop saw and sander were a drill press soldering torch and a small lathe. Everything is made from scratch except the all thread and two brass nuts, brass flat stock, curly maple handle.

3 things I definitely want to add to my shop.  Just need a bigger shop.  I love that curly maple handle.

Maul turned out really nice !

4 hours ago, PastorBob said:

3 things I definitely want to add to my shop.  Just need a bigger shop.  I love that curly maple handle.

19 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

great looking maul!

41 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Maul turned out really nice !

Thanks guys ! I finished up the fine detail work today made everything fit better and gave it a little polish for a more finished look. Man i wish i still had that little star lens thingy for my camera.

maul2.JPG

maul3.JPG

maul5.JPG

maul6.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

Looks good!!

What kind of lathe do you use?

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Looks good!!

What kind of lathe do you use?

Thanks, i just have a small Wen wood lathe. Basic machine but it works well for small stuff

Edited by chuck123wapati

Chuck, I'm interested in how you made the brass top.  Not that I'll ever make one, just curious.  I love the look and the fact the teflon is repurposed from a cutting board is outstanding.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Chuck, I'm interested in how you made the brass top.  Not that I'll ever make one, just curious.  I love the look and the fact the teflon is repurposed from a cutting board is outstanding.

Thanks Tug the top is made from a piece of brass flat stock. I silver soldered a brass nut on it that threads onto the all thread shaft. The nut fits the top wafer tightly when pulled down into it so the head wont spin, like how a carriage bolt works. I also ran a couple of brass 1/8"rods through all the wafers for the same reason. i made it so the head could be replaced if the plastic didn't work or when it got to beat up. I repurpose as much as i can, and yes a i have a ton of "I'll bet i can use that some day" junk. LOL drives the wife crazy. 

Well I think it is outstanding.  So many skills come together…impressive.

Very nice Chuck! A small lathe is probably the next thing on my list. I'm sharing a 2 car garage with my wifes car and my golf cart. Needless to say space is at a premium in the winter here in Washington state.