chuck123wapati

tooling maul weight

I've been following this. I reckon I need a heavier maul. I don't as yet do any real decorative stamping. I have an old wood working mallet. Total weight is 16oz. I have a HDPE mallet, total weight is 11.5oz, head only is 9.5oz

Do you think a rubber 1.5lb dead-blow mallet would do? I can no longer swing anything much heavier than that

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

maul6.JPG

oh man, that is so real nice looking. May you have the joy of lots of happy hours using it

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

. . .  I repurpose as much as i can, and yes a i have a ton of "I'll bet i can use that some day" junk. LOL drives the wife crazy. 

yeah, they don't like it or understand it. . . . . until they need something fixed and they expect you to have the fixings, :lol:

Looking for a dead-blow mallet I came across a place not too far from no.1 son's work place selling a 1lb, a 2lb and a 3lb dead-blow mallets for £14.99 delivered. Thats £14.99 for all three. Or I can buy a 2lb one for £8.85

mmm, choices, choices . . . .:dunno:  :head_hurts_kr:

:whatdoyouthink:

Edited by fredk

7 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice Chuck! A small lathe is probably the next thing on my list. I'm sharing a 2 car garage with my wifes car and my golf cart. Needless to say space is at a premium in the winter here in Washington state. 

Thank you, I ve had it about a year now, it is one fun tool to play with!!! I know about space my garage is a converted one room house and all my cars are out side lol.

6 hours ago, fredk said:

I've been following this. I reckon I need a heavier maul. I don't as yet do any real decorative stamping. I have an old wood working mallet. Total weight is 16oz. I have a HDPE mallet, total weight is 11.5oz, head only is 9.5oz

Do you think a rubber 1.5lb dead-blow mallet would do? I can no longer swing anything much heavier than that

oh man, that is so real nice looking. May you have the joy of lots of happy hours using it

yeah, they don't like it or understand it. . . . . until they need something fixed and they expect you to have the fixings, :lol:

Thank s Fred it came out nicer than i figured it would too, it sure replaces that old hunk of scrub oak i whittled out with a draw knife lol.  Them women they are a funny breed alright after over 40 years mine still doesn't understand the correlation between my tools, my toys and my junk. LOL. 

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Looking for a dead-blow mallet I came across a place not too far from no.1 son's work place selling a 1lb, a 2lb and a 3lb dead-blow mallets for £14.99 delivered. Thats £14.99 for all three. Or I can buy a 2lb one for £8.85

mmm, choices, choices . . . .:dunno:  :head_hurts_kr:

:whatdoyouthink:

i would buy the set! find the best fit and use the others for other things. there is always something needs beating on IMHO.

You can adjust the weight of your hammer using lead shot.

I drilled holes in the head of the hammer. Added and subtracted lead till it felt right

covered the holes using a leather spacer to keep lead from falling out

the handle, keeps the leather washer in place

I have not weighed this hammer But the feel of it is perfect for my purpose 

001.thumb.JPG.05fd00c77a175053288bddf2a367bc1e.JPG

Edited by Frodo

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

You can adjust the weight of your hammer using lead shot.

I drilled holes in the head of the hammer. Added and subtracted lead till it felt right

covered the holes using a leather spacer to keep lead from falling out

the handle, keeps the leather washer in place

I have not weighed this hammer But the feel of it is perfect for my purpose 

001.thumb.JPG.05fd00c77a175053288bddf2a367bc1e.JPG

i may have to try that, i haven't beat on anything enough yet to tell how well i like it. I was wishing the other day i had a straight piece of antler for this lol.

54 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i may have to try that, i haven't beat on anything enough yet to tell how well i like it. I was wishing the other day i had a straight piece of antler for this lol.

I did not like this mallet  and did not use it. Till i added the antler I got from you and weighted the head.  now i use it all the time

If you noticed,  I sanded a flat spot on the head.  I got tired of glancing blows,  I hit it square now. 

19 hours ago, Frodo said:

I did not like this mallet  and did not use it. Till i added the antler I got from you and weighted the head.  now i use it all the time

If you noticed,  I sanded a flat spot on the head.  I got tired of glancing blows,  I hit it square now. 

yea there is a learning curve to those round heads my old one was beaten flat. I love that antler handle.