Dwight

Using a Vacuum Bag . . .

In another thread  . . . we discussed using a vacuum pump and a vacuum bag to form holsters.

One of the folks asked for some pictures of my "system".

Here is a short video of what I do . . . and how I do it.

https://youtu.be/3KS1hAQ5c3U

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

Thank you!!

God bless

excellent video!!!! short and to the point!

Does the leather get thinner also or does it come back to original thickness after the vacuum is let off? Darn now i have another project to work on, a bag for my pump.

Edited by chuck123wapati

Great Video and thanks for talking about how you made the plastic bag and seal it up.

Ditto. Great video and thanks for sharing.

Great video. I thought you might leave the holster under vacuum till it partially dried like manual wet forming. 

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

excellent video!!!! short and to the point!

Does the leather get thinner also or does it come back to original thickness after the vacuum is let off? Darn now i have another project to work on, a bag for my pump.

Truthfully . . . I don't think so . . . but I've never taken a micrometer to it to find out.

I pretty much know what size I'm planning on using for what gun and what holster . . . and I just form it . . . sew it . . . finish it . . . and send it.

The bag is easy . . . getting that piece off ebay to suck the air out of the bag was the hardest thing of all . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

4 hours ago, 327fed said:

Great video. I thought you might leave the holster under vacuum till it partially dried like manual wet forming. 

It's a good idea . . . but actually I was surprised the first time I used it . . . the vacuum sucks a bunch of water out of it . . .  but it kinda gets to a certain plateau and it doesn't seem to get much more out.  The pieces dry really quick though.

I started out not having any one to ask . . . had to play "try and see" . . . my basic process is what you saw . . . as most all of the holsters I make are flat backed . . . even the pancakes.  I found the regular pancake holster to be far, far less comfortable than a flat backed one . . .  and the flat backed ones still have good retention.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks. Got any idea what the connector off eBay is called?

24 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Thanks. Got any idea what the connector off eBay is called?

Check this one out; 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Valve-Bagging-Composites/dp/B01DL7NGBI

I believe that is it. Thanks. I found an article in Wood magazine where they used a liner to go under a shower stall pan and the connector to connect a feeder line into the bottom of a toilet tank. 

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/editorial-extras/shop-made-vacuum-press-bag?

Edited by 327fed

I only paid like 7 or 8 bucks for mine . . . 

I could not find the exact one I bought years ago . . .  but this is the nearest I found . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/391876111610?hash=item5b3da2ecfa:g:gKcAAOSwkklZpdPd

I didn't read all the description, etc.  . . .  but I think this would work.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks

Dwight,

How did you slot the PVC pipe for the closure? I have done that on a table saw before but it really dulled the blade. 

11 hours ago, 327fed said:

Dwight,

How did you slot the PVC pipe for the closure? I have done that on a table saw before but it really dulled the blade. 

I anchored the PVC on top of my wooden work bench . . . took an angle grinder straight down the middle . . . I would have used a table saw . . . but don't own one at the moment.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks

I made a bag setup but thought I would try the Harbor Freight vacuum pump without a motor. It connects to an air hose and the Venturi action pulls the vacuum. Specs are similar to the HF electric pump. However it would not pull enough vacuum to form a holster. Thought it would as  I have a 60 gallon compressor. Will hand form till I get a deal on an electric pump.,

I used to get their 20 or 30% off coupons on my phone . . . quit getting them when I quit using them . . . 

Might check into them . . . this is the one I got . . . https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

I think it might have been 10 bucks cheaper or so . . . don't recall for sure . . . may have been this price.

Anyway . . . sure takes the labor out of molding the holsters . . . I used to use a hydraulic press . . . did a fantastic job . . . just knew one day though . . . somebody's plastic fantastic six shooter would get crushed in the press . . .  tore it down . . . was a really smart move I think . . . went to vacuum forming.

May God bless,

Dwight

30 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I used to use a hydraulic press . . . did a fantastic job

Hi -- when you were using the hydraulic press what did you use to form the holster?  was it foam padding or rubber pads or???

On 1/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, Dwight said:

Here is a short video of what I d

Thass sum purdy good learnin's fer ya rot cheer ;)

Not exactly the way I do it, but close.  NOTE that you don't need a "closure" for your bag... if you fold it over and set a light weight on it it will work - in fact i sometimes just fold it over and hold for a second, since once it creates a vaccuum theres no need to hold it any more.

I also do not use a cutting board - or anything - along with the process.  My holsters are already measured, cut, sewn together before they go in the bag, and they are NOT flat... they are actually CURVED BEYOND FLAT, so a board would  be in the way of the form.

STILL -- this is pretty good, CLEAR INSTRUCTION.

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

Hi -- when you were using the hydraulic press what did you use to form the holster?  was it foam padding or rubber pads or???

I bought 4 pads of latex leather . . . each about 2 inches thick and about 16 or 18 inches square.   I used two above the holster and two below it . . . stacked of course . . . and a 6 ton press.

I just started getting antsy when I really started getting a lot of Glocks . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

18 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Thass sum purdy good learnin's fer ya rot cheer ;)

Not exactly the way I do it, but close.  NOTE that you don't need a "closure" for your bag... if you fold it over and set a light weight on it it will work - in fact i sometimes just fold it over and hold for a second, since once it creates a vaccuum theres no need to hold it any more.

I also do not use a cutting board - or anything - along with the process.  My holsters are already measured, cut, sewn together before they go in the bag, and they are NOT flat... they are actually CURVED BEYOND FLAT, so a board would  be in the way of the form.

STILL -- this is pretty good, CLEAR INSTRUCTION.

Thank, pal . . .  I went with almost all flat backed holsters . . . for me I found they were more comfortable . . . have not had a customer come back and complain they were too flat yet . . . lol

Seriously . . . I built a 50/50 pancake . . . did my best to get used to it . . . finally just put it on Ebay . . .  took what I got for a used holster . . . went down the road . . . have not made one since.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 2/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Dwight said:

I built a 50/50 pancake .

well, i don't mean 50/50s .. I mean curved PAST flat.  A board would prevent getting the right "wrap around" ;)

hgfd.jpgDSC01154.jpg9b.jpg

Do you think the hydraulic press is safe for SA revolvers ( won’t crush them)? 

i have a couple of presses available.