Dwight

Using a Vacuum Bag . . .

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

Do you think the hydraulic press is safe for SA revolvers ( won’t crush them)? 

i have a couple of presses available. 

I can only say that I did not have any problems with the hydraulic press . . . other than being scared I was going to crush somebody's plastic fantastic lover pistol

Wood and steel guns never were a problem for me and the latex rubber pieces I used to get the forming done.

I do think though that the vacuum press does a better job . . . quicker . . . and I can see what it is doing . . . 

With the hydraulic press . . . if something gets out of alignment you will not know it until you lift the press.  With vacuum bag system . . .  you look thru the bag and you can see what is going on all the time.

And for the price I paid for the latex rubber pieces . . .  I could have bought the whole vacuum system . . . complete. (IIRC)

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, Dwight said:

. . . other than being scared I was going to crush somebody's plastic fantastic lover pistol

Dwight,  Do I detect a little Jefferson Airplane?

Jim

3 minutes ago, jrdunn said:

Dwight,  Do I detect a little Jefferson Airplane?

Jim

He-he . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I finished my bag today with 12 gauge (12 mil) plastic from JoAnns. I have the same pump from Harbor Freight that you linked above, though I bought it before I saw the link. I made the bag fitting with parts from Lowe's. After this photo was taken,  I drilled a hole through the bushing on the inside to keep the bag from blocking the vacuum. Thanks again for sharing. 

Randy

20221203_132548.jpg

20221203_132634.jpg

1 hour ago, rktaylor said:

Dwight, 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I finished my bag today with 12 gauge (12 mil) plastic from JoAnns. I have the same pump from Harbor Freight that you linked above, though I bought it before I saw the link. I made the bag fitting with parts from Lowe's. After this photo was taken,  I drilled a hole through the bushing on the inside to keep the bag from blocking the vacuum. Thanks again for sharing. 

Randy

You are more than welcome, Randy . . . have fun with it . . . 

I did a couple of intricate radio boxes last spring and summer . . . would have been some kinda tough without the vacuum help.

May God bless,

Dwight

Love my vacuum set up. Harbor freight pump is still going strong in its second year. And I dont worry about crushing a plastic fantastic.

Bought this big ol Robinair vacuum pump off Craigslist today. Hope it can handle some vacuum wetforming.AAAA29B9-3ED6-4F51-927E-92DDF8C1191E.thumb.jpeg.04ffd0f1f2959717bcba1d729a46c948.jpeg

Got too many leaks in my homemade vacuum bag, mostly around the valve. Gotta find an inner tube to cut a gasket. 

Make sure it's sealed on the edge of the valve. I punched the hole in my bag a little small so it would be tight on the fitting. Good look. 

Randy

Don’t use this style of valve. I ordered it off Amazon a year or so back. Would not seal well in my homemade bag. I made an inner tube gasket, put Vaseline on it, no luck. I cut up a commercial sweater vacuum bag and put the valve in it. It sucked down good one time, then wrung off. I have a smaller brass one but I need to drill some bigger washers to make it  work. At least I know my new pump is OK. Even Snoopy Santa was disappointed. 

C5871B0D-1AC3-4545-B9AD-EBEC6487E338.jpeg