i think your first attempt was very successful, formed holsters are not easy.

that's not a bad start, just wondering about the angle -- that pretty comfortable for you?

Watch out for that suppressor. Now, your barrel sticks out by the extended/threaded tip. Once the suppressor goes on, it might catch up on the bottom edge of the holster.

Years ago, I purchased a leather holster from an artisan at the local gun show (before I started playing with leather).  The cant is about the same as the one above.  His main point behind that angle of cant was so you could draw it easily from a seated position, say in a vehicle.  He was right.  worked very well.  Even when not seated, it wasn't bad to draw.  The other advantage is that it also makes it hard for someone to come up behind you and grab it.  It just won't come out that way.  Nicely done for the first of many holsters, I am sure.  I do agree with maybe extending the holster a bit so that the end doesn't stick out when you have the thread cover on it.

Nice job! There will always be room for improvement. I do agree with covering the end of the barrel unless you have a specific reason not to. Cant is a personal preference. 

Edited by Hags
Spelling

looks better than my first one that's for sure nice job .

Ain't nobody getting to see my first one . . .  

You did a really good job Epplers . . .  

May God bless,

Dwight

13 hours ago, JLSleather said:

that's not a bad start, just wondering about the angle -- that pretty comfortable for you?

It's around 15deg for 4 or 5 aclock position. I copied my Calco holster I have. And it's very comfortable. I left a gap around the barrel to prevent it from catching. 

20220105_214522.jpg

6 hours ago, Epplers said:

It's around 15deg for 4 or 5 aclock position. I copied my Calco holster I have. And it's very comfortable. I left a gap around the barrel to prevent it from catching. 

20220105_214522.jpg

Good news, bad news. 

Good news.  That little wrap of leather at the bottom will hold the gun up for a while. 

Bad news.  It probably won't hold it as long as you think it will.  

Good news.  You'll want to make another holster at some point anyway.  

When I build for lights/lasers I always close the toe under the accessory.  The holster need a shelf somewhere to keep the gun from falling down to the grip in the holster.  That is usually the trigger guard.  When you add an accessory you take that shelf away.  The only place to put one is to wrap the bottom of the holster and close part of the toe for a shelf.  Left open, there is a possibility the holster softens with use and the gun just starts to work it's way deeper into the  holster.  

7 hours ago, Epplers said:

15deg for 4 or 5 aclock position.

certainly makes a difference how far back it's worn - further back usually more angle is more  natural position for the wrist.

but the angle of the holster doesn't change, just the angle of the forearm ;)

All things considered, it's very good for a first holster.  You rounded the edges very nicely, which rookies usually skip doing.  I hope you keep posting as you make more holsters and sheathes.