toxo

Dinosaurs

My 3 yr old Grandson is going to start his first uniform school soon and I've promised to make him a dinosaur backpack but struggling to find the right pattern. I could just laser an image on the flap but I'm looking for something with a  bit more to it. In the meantime I've started this pencil case. Finally got it cut/punched out. Will start building tomorrow. He's Dino mad and knows a lot of the names already.

Stega pencil case.png

Looks like a fun project and I am sure he will thoroughly enjoy that.  Probably get a frog and some marbles in there too.  I did a quick search for dinosaur backpacks and nothing cool really popped up.  Good luck with your project and make sure to post pics.

Hi, not wanting to assume (or insult) your computer knowledge but in the google, you can search for "backpack and dinosaur" and then filter for images (at the top).   When I searched I saw lots of creative ideas but as mentioned, no patterns.  You may have to get a decent looking one on the cheap and tear it apart for modifications and stuff. 

Further searched by adding "sewing and pattern" I saw this:
https://threadistry.com/blog/dinosaur-sewing-patterns/  

https://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-fleece-dinosaur-backpack-with-spikes/2012/10/25/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/67814698/dinosaur-back-pack-pdf-sewing-pattern

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dino-backpack-2

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be filled with love and worn with pride.     and be sure to post pictures when complete!

19 hours ago, toxo said:

My 3 yr old Grandson is going to start his first uniform school soon and I've promised to make him a dinosaur backpack but struggling to find the right pattern. I could just laser an image on the flap but I'm looking for something with a  bit more to it. In the meantime I've started this pencil case. Finally got it cut/punched out. Will start building tomorrow. He's Dino mad and knows a lot of the names already.

Stega pencil case.png

That is a cool piece! 

My first grandson loved dinos too they were the first thing he learned to talk about. we painted his whole room with the theme, he is 21 now. Love em now it goes by quick! Wish a had a pattern i would sure share it with you. 

haven't come up with a pattern but this looks cool could be adapted to about any pack pattern. https://www.littlelife.com/products/kids-daysacks/big-dinosaurL12331-big-dinosaur-kids-backpack-1.jpg?itok=dSKWtSl4

cuter than heck IMO! kids-kindergarten-cute-cartoon-animal-tail.jpg

Thanks guys nearly finished the pencil case, will post pics later.

Chuck, I like your thinking but I want to make him something that he'll use for a few years. Maybe I'll end up just lasering some Dino images on a veg tan flap.

There's some very tricky sewing in this. I had some fake croc left over.

P1010764.JPG

P1010763.JPGP1010765.JPG

17 hours ago, toxo said:

There's some very tricky sewing in this. I had some fake croc left over.

P1010764.JPG

P1010763.JPGP1010765.JPG

That is some serious sewing, you did good.

46 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

That is some serious sewing, you did good.

Thanks chuck. I finished up at the head, saddle stitching the sides to the underbelly and I use long needles.

I was just reading threw. Really like the dino pencil case. Very cool. And you say your wanting to do a backpack that he can use even when hes a little older as well. Why couldn't you rescale the pencil case pattern to make it alot bigger? And where the belly of dino  meets the sides that transition could be made out for the zipper more like a backpack zipper works across the top. And you can incorporate the 4 legs into the straps. Hopefully this idea will help.

And you can incorporate the 4 legs into the straps.    :: A while back someone posted a face mask with what looked like wrap around bony fingers.  I had a vision of your dino legs wrapping a few inches further from the pack to up the wearers shoulder and up to mid waist....on the side of the hip.  Being grabbed by the dino...    oh well, it's all in my mind.  

God bless   

Thanks guys, an interesting idea and I like it. It would certainly be easier to sew. Thing is I was thinking of something he would wear to school for years. Don't think  you could make him go to school with a dino on his back at 9/10. Of course I suppose I could make two. I do like the idea of scaling it up.

His mum sent a short video yesterday of him opening the parcel and another this morning showing him waking up with it in the bed. He'd slept with it. I wanted to show you guys the video but although very short it's over 3mb and I don't know how to shorten it.

Uploaded it to YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myn2KsoVwAQ

Edited by toxo