Runzeigrun

HELP! Guidance in sewing machine purchase

Anyone with actual experience with bag construction and experience in these. So I repair Louis Vuitton bags. Still in the beginning stages and limited as I do it all by hand. It is very time consuming and getting backed up with bags. Sewing machines I am a newbie to, but trying to learn. The bags I will be working with are all canvas and leather max 8mm total thickness to be sewn. Soft vachetta leather. Main thread would be nylon/polyester #92 to #207. I need a machine to do the following.......

binding, piping, close to the edge sewing (roller foot option a plus), controlled and slow stitching, part availability/after market. 

Here are the local options I have to pick from.....

Consew 277RFS (cylinder arm)

Cobra class 26 (standard model no EPS) 

Pfaff 335-H3

Durkopp Adler 669 (downfall price as I would be buying new)

Durkopp Adler 888 (post machine, again price a downfall would buy new)

I currently have a techsew 5100 SE. I bought this not understanding or researching properly and it is to heavy duty for my needs. I did see the options of dumbing it down by WIZ, but am holding off on that. Have a juki 5550 that was converted to a servo motor, but it leaves marks and the foot doesnt give much room. Maybe the machines I have could work. I dont know. But what I want is to have  each machine set up for specific steps. The juki can do liners, the medium machine my work horse and the techsew for I guess when ever I choose to do heavier project. 

Nothing to do with your question , but if as you say your a beginner and starting on LV handbags, one can only hope you have good insurance unless they are your own bags

7 hours ago, Runzeigrun said:

binding, piping, close to the edge sewing (roller foot option a plus), controlled and slow stitching, part availability/after market. 

I would first suggest if you are buying a new machine and can afford the price difference over a clone buy a brand name like Juki, Alder, PFAFF. A reasonable solution I think would be a Juki LS 1341 as it will probably cover off most of your requirements except for the roller foot. If you need attachments / parts all the clones within this class of machine are based around the Juki. When you decide to sell the machine it will be easier to resell and at a higher price then that of a clone.

The PFAFF 335 probably will limit your thread selection to V92. The parts and accessories for the Alder and PFAFF tend to be manufacturer specific and expensive.

For speed control whatever machine you decide on, buy it with a servo motor. If the control is still not what you need or like buy the machine with a servo motor and a speed reducer.

I would still advise you to visit a dealer with a sample of your stuff and test ride a machine as this is an expensive out lay of cash.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

10 hours ago, kgg said:

I would first suggest if you are buying a new machine and can afford the price difference over a clone buy a brand name like Juki, Alder, PFAFF. A reasonable solution I think would be a Juki LS 1341 as it will probably cover off most of your requirements except for the roller foot. If you need attachments / parts all the clones within this class of machine are based around the Juki. When you decide to sell the machine it will be easier to resell and at a higher price then that of a clone.

The PFAFF 335 probably will limit your thread selection to V92. The parts and accessories for the Alder and PFAFF tend to be manufacturer specific and expensive.

For speed control whatever machine you decide on, buy it with a servo motor. If the control is still not what you need or like buy the machine with a servo motor and a speed reducer.

I would still advise you to visit a dealer with a sample of your stuff and test ride a machine as this is an expensive out lay of cash.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your insight and information. It is greatly appreciated. 

13 hours ago, chrisash said:

Nothing to do with your question , but if as you say your a beginner and starting on LV handbags, one can only hope you have good insurance unless they are your own bags

I have probably 30 bags of my own. Most of my customers I do by hand right now. So I have plenty to screw up on. If I mess up I'd just repurpose the canvas and hardware. Always a win when working with LV. Never had a loss to date thank God.