DrmCa

What sort of leather are these speedloader holders made of?

Ole' Tex Shoemaker used to make these:

s-l1600-1629_61db4455-9655-4fa3-b3ae-e10

What kind and weight of leather are they?

I do not feel bad about wanting to copy them because the company is no longer in business and also because I am going to change the design a bit.

It looks like veg-tan. As to weight, I would think 6-8oz.

I concur, veg tan almost certainly.  If it were me, I’d use 7-8 oz.   

My old ones were 8 oz. 

Yeah, I would think 7/8. Bet he had a clicker die for that front!

Much appreciated!

So it's 3mm, give or take.

I bet that front was one of the reasons they went under: due to the wastage of so much good leather.

8 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Much appreciated!

I bet that front was one of the reasons they went under: due to the wastage of so much good leather.

more likely old age. that picture has to be 60 year old at least. Yea i make mine from two pieces of strap.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, DrmCa said:

Ole' Tex Shoemaker used to make these:

s-l1600-1629_61db4455-9655-4fa3-b3ae-e10

What kind and weight of leather are they?

I do not feel bad about wanting to copy them because the company is no longer in business and also because I am going to change the design a bit.

That's a neat design! As @Hags says, once they got the design just right it's an ideal candidate for a clicker die.

I reckon it's regular old tooling russet. Maybe some skirting scrap if they had a source from a Western style saddle maker. Shoulder would be my preference, but any not-too-stretchy part would do fine.

13 hours ago, DrmCa said:

How much leather do you guesstimate is in the thing? Maybe a quarter to half a SQFT? Even if it came from "virgin" hide not scrap/offcut you're not looking at an awful lot of $ of raw material...

14 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Much appreciated!

you can make these out of strap with no waste, no fancy cutters in minutes, just my opine but those are way overthunk!

cylinder .JPG

41 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you can make these out of strap with no waste, no fancy cutters in minutes, just my opine but those are way overthunk!

That is definitely an easy pattern, Chuck.  Thanks for posting the photo

7 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

That is definitely an easy pattern, Chuck.  Thanks for posting the photo

YW they work well for extra black powder cylinders also. 

Love the design Chuck.  I'm going to have to make a few or some speed loaders I have.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

That's what I am aiming for though mine will be a tad larger.

18 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Love the design Chuck.  I'm going to have to make a few or some speed loaders I have.

thank you. that was the prototype lol. They look much nicer when done completely.

Edited by chuck123wapati

1 minute ago, DrmCa said:

That's what I am aiming for though mine will be a tad larger.

larger than a 44? eek lol.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

cylinder .JPG

One of the great things about making stuff out of leather is that there are many ways to skin a particular cat. Your design is very clever for being so efficient. I think that I would prefer the design in the OP as it appears to have more positive retention and the increased rigidity is less likely to rotate up on the belt during a hasty reload. To each his own.

13 hours ago, Matt S said:

One of the great things about making stuff out of leather is that there are many ways to skin a particular cat. Your design is very clever for being so efficient. I think that I would prefer the design in the OP as it appears to have more positive retention and the increased rigidity is less likely to rotate up on the belt during a hasty reload. To each his own.

Your right  that is the good thing,  likely i; m sure but it doesn't I know cause i have one or two. Anyway one thing i do know from actually making and using my design and looking at his is that the top flap hinders the reload more than anything, and it is the primary reason either style would rotate up on the belt not the speed loaders them selves they are not in tight, at least mine aren't it should be a one handed operation. You may notice my top flap is long enough it hangs a bit below the bottom allowing easier manipulation of the snap and flap, think upside down thumb break.  The hand comes up from the bottom unsnapping and moving the flap at the same time. Unlike the Velcro on his the snap is much easier to unfasten so doesn't pull the holster with it. As you can see by the temporary attachments I did spend some time thinking and working this out. Make the snap tongue to long and it catches on stuff, make it to short and its not easy to open. if you want it stiffer then use heavier leather on the back strap. Just other options and ideas the man can use or not that's what the forum is for right?