SlickWilly

Help! My cat peed on $300 worth of unused veg tan leather!!!

I got nothin'.

I have stepped in lots of species of poo in leather boots over the years., including cat. Never discarded any. Usually just leave them on the porch a few days. Sometimes sprayed with Lysol. Hog manure is the only one that never fades away. When cattle prices are up (not now) cow manure smells like money. 

Bin it.  If n ya can't do that, wash it good with aforementioned solutions, let er dry, and make some tool kit that goes out in the garage with it.  Not suitable for EDC stuff imo.  And I'd hate to think customers would wonder if I used said hide in their products.

YinTx

Have used the peroxide and baking soda solution to deskunk dogs a few times, and it's AMAZING!  I'm sure it would work well on cat pee, but I'd test it first on a piece of scrap.

Am glad I have a large cupboard for my leather, though I have to watch out for mice getting into it.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

14 hours ago, AzShooter said:

There is no worse smell then some cowboy holster rig from Mexico that has been tanned with urine.  Just think about it when you are competing in the range.  You can smell that leather from a long distance.

You can always use the side for practice. You can never practice too much.  Cut out as much as possible and you can save some of the leather for better projects.

You want to have a whiff of leather tanned in India or Pakistan and i am not going to into what it may have been tanned in as i have said in another post, when i have had the misfortune to have work with it, i make sure i give my hands a good wash after i have finished.  

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, tsunkasapa said:

The PROPER way to keep cats out of the leather shop;

I've heard of rat repellents, but thats a cat repellent  :) :) . He's very sweet and gentle  I'm sure  .

TV series, 'Jake & the Fatman ' went through my mind for some reason ....

HS

On 1/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, tsunkasapa said:

The PROPER way to keep cats out of the leather shop;

grumpy-bulldog 1111 - Copy (2).jpg

Wouldn't work in my house! :lol:

It WOULD work. Sir Winston isn't fast enough to catch a cat if it runs, but the last one that thought to stand up to him is buried in the orchard.

Aged urine turns to ammonia, which bleaches leather.   Time to experiment with making something white?

Get a dog next time, cats don’t care about leather ownership 

On 1/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Am glad I have a large cupboard for my leather, though I have to watch out for mice getting into it.

ya gotta watch out for them durned meeces

Many years ago I unrolled a large hide to find a meece nest in the centre. The meeces had chewed holes in the hide and used the bits to build their nest. Did they hole it near the edge? nay, right in the middle lengthways of the roll, but not only that, they'd chewed through the layers of rolled leather to each side of the nest, so when I unrolled the hide it had this repeating 'pattern' of holes down the centre! The holes weren't too big, about just larger than a US 1/2 dollar coin

22 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

It WOULD work. Sir Winston isn't fast enough to catch a cat if it runs, but the last one that thought to stand up to him is buried in the orchard.

lol My bullies would eat the cat and the leather.

The meeces left the leather alone - what they got into was my supply of porcupine quills!  :dunno: Never would have thought they'd find those tasty!

The next thing the mouse got into was a trap, and unfortunately, when it got caught, some of its blood got on a piece of leather, but that was very minor and just on the edge.

Since I really don't want the cat having access to this cupboard, I keep a baited trap in it at all times, and check it often. And I've moved the quills to a drawer that I think is mouse-proof.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 1/12/2022 at 1:23 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Wouldn't work in my house! :lol:

had to laugh and giggle about that video.    I have a black German Shepherd doggo, too.  It's my third....

The other dog is gone now - she made it to 14 1/2. The black cat (who weighs just over 10 lbs) and the black shepherd keep me entertained by beating each other up a couple of times a day. I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the cat due to the size difference, then I seem him lying in the dog's crate and refusing to let her in... :rolleyes2:  Or he reaches out and whacks her as she's passing by!

On 1/13/2022 at 6:01 AM, Doc Reaper said:

Get a dog next time, cats don’t care about leather ownership 

Not necessarily a solution. I too had a black German Shepherd at one time. 

He couldn't resist a buck I had framed up for scraping. Fortunately, I suppose, I did manage to resist framing his hide up in place. At 90 pounds, he would have fit nicely. Wasn't sure he had enough brains to tan his own hide, though.

Beautiful dog. Great one in a lot of ways, but he was a bit willful, and liked leather. Friendly to anyone not in uniform, oddly enough, maybe he just didn't like the way they approached. Gave him to a man with a farm.

Yeah, some dogs do like to chew on leather! Have had several leather covered books destroyed by dogs over the years, not to mention leather shoes! 

I'd dip dye it in black alcohol based dye.

The correct treatment for cat urine smell is dilute muriatic acid but I have no idea what it would do to leather.