AdamDavis

Who makes a good ( sharp) round end punch?

Hey folks, I recently picked up some round end punches  that were unusably dull. It took something in the order of 15 strikes with a 32 oz.mallet to get through a piece of 8 oz veg tan. Who makes a good one? I understand that eventually  it will need to be touched up but it should be sharp when brand new yes? Thanks 

It depends on the maker. Dan Byler's punches are always sharp straight out of the box. Weavers usually are but some aren't as sharp as others. CS Osborne has never sent truly sharp punches in my experience. They required sharpening by the end user to their preference back then and still do today.  It is just how they do it. Not saying one is better than the other after they are sharpened , just my experience with new ones. I don't have enough experience with Jeremiah Watt's end punches to say. 

Personally my own punches are lower beveled and sharp enough to cut with hand pressure (like the old wood handles end punches were designed. to). I can use a light stroke on a correct punching surface and get easy clean results. Some people I sell to want a steeper more chiseled angle that wont be as fine an edge but can stand up to harder leather or long use to be passable without stropping very much.  

I've never bought a dull one from Tandy . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

All punches need a good sharpening. Just invest in some supplies for sharpening what you already have

I had a person leave a message off the group about pushing a punch by hand. Here is a clip I shot a few years ago of one in process and not fully stropped yet. One hand on the phone shooting the video and one hand on the punch. 

On 1/15/2022 at 12:14 AM, fredk said:

All punches need a good sharpening. Just invest in some supplies for sharpening what you already have

I don't agree. My punches from Ksblade doesn't need any sharpening, they are super sharp. And hole punches I've seen being recommended like SPC and Kevinlee is probably really sharp when delivered also. I remember when I started this craft and bought the "mini kit" with hole punches from Tandy though, they didn't just need sharpening they didn't have a cutting edge at all.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:17 PM, bruce johnson said:

It depends on the maker. Dan Byler's punches are always sharp straight out of the box. Weavers usually are but some aren't as sharp as others. CS Osborne has never sent truly sharp punches in my experience. They required sharpening by the end user to their preference back then and still do today.  It is just how they do it. Not saying one is better than the other after they are sharpened , just my experience with new ones. I don't have enough experience with Jeremiah Watt's end punches to say. 

Personally my own punches are lower beveled and sharp enough to cut with hand pressure (like the old wood handles end punches were designed. to). I can use a light stroke on a correct punching surface and get easy clean results. Some people I sell to want a steeper more chiseled angle that wont be as fine an edge but can stand up to harder leather or long use to be passable without stropping very much.  

just saw your link Bruce you have some fine tools for sale those wood handled punches are the bomb! i couldn't see your video but dont know why someone wood think that  a punch cant be made as sharp as a knife or cut leather just as easy by hand.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, AdamDavis said:

Hey folks, I recently picked up some round end punches  that were unusably dull. It took something in the order of 15 strikes with a 32 oz.mallet to get through a piece of 8 oz veg tan. Who makes a good one? I understand that eventually  it will need to be touched up but it should be sharp when brand new yes? Thanks 

Dull punches aren't necessarily bad punches, sharpen them, then you will know if the metal is to soft to hold an edge. then you will know if they are bad punches. you just cant do much leather work without learning to sharpen stuff.