Looking into getting a used Adler 267, anyone with experience with this machine? what limitations should I be aware of? Belts, bags, bible/notebook covers some of the items being made… Thanks

18 hours ago, Redbeard7 said:

Looking into getting a used Adler 267, anyone with experience with this machine? what limitations should I be aware of? Belts, bags, bible/notebook covers some of the items being made… Thanks

Bump

As it's a used machine, check to make sure the timing stays the same in reverse - There's an adjustment for it, but check to be sure.

It's visually obvious, if it's out, by watching the needle / hook relationship in forward and reverse - It drove me crazy on my 167, before I figured out how to fix it.

I use my 267 to sew chap leather and light weight veg-tan (approx. 7/8 oz.).  I also use it to repair horse covers; it does well sewing nylon webbing to about 3 layers of nylon and padding.  I also use it to sew belts.  It does jump timing when you least expect it; but, once you know how to reset the timing, it usually takes less than an hour to reset and test.  I sew usually with 207 top and 138 bobbin thread.  I like the machine; however, I did change out the clutch motor for an electronic one.

Belts are likely a No unless light-weight, lined leather.

It's an upholstery class machine, not for heavy leather.

7 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Belts are likely a No unless light-weight, lined leather.

It's an upholstery class machine, not for heavy leather.

Belts are a No?  :blink: It does not matter if a machine is an "upholstery machine". Its sewing capabilities matter and you can easily sew heavy letter when the machine is equipped with a proper motor and maybe a speed reducer. The 267 usually sews with 138 thread and 207 (as mentioned earlier) when properly set up. And depending on the subclass I´m sure 10mm leather or maybe a little more should be possible but usually they can sew what ever fits under the foot. But without knowing more details about the machine (subclass f.i.) we only can guess. But belts are not a problem at all.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

It does not matter if a machine is an "upholstery machine".

It does. If it runs off on you on an English end of an 8oz piece, the belt is ruined.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

maybe a speed reducer.

That's a different story.

The 267 gk or -373 are a good medium duty walking foot machine.  Foot lift I believe is 12-13mm.  It will sew up to 3/8 thickness of leather depending on how hard the leather is.  These machines are in demand especially the ones built in Germany.    They are going for over $2000.00 rebuilt and set up.  Make sure timing belt isin good shape or that will be a $100.00 expense.

glenn