imocow

Small bag from A4 piece

I'm just getting started with leather craft - I wanted to make a bag out of a single A4 piece of leather, and this is the result

Also had a go at making the pattern into a printable pdf

A4_front copy.jpg

Nice. What's A4?

4 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

Nice. What's A4?

The paper size! (210 x 297mm) - the place I ordered my leather from had A4-size pieces that were very affordable, so it seemed like a good place to start before buying a larger amount of leather

A4 is a European measure of area, usually used for paper, = 8.25 inches by 11.5 inches, approx

6 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Nice. What's A4?

One of 2 formulas that didn't work before we came up with C4? ;)

9 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

No. the measures are ;  size A, B, C, D, E.     Envelopes are often in C sizes. My printer used to use a B size for printing my magazines. D sizes are often used for cash payment envelopes and E size is a speciality size

12 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

:rofl:

Just now, fredk said:

No. the measures are ;  size A, B, C, D, E.     Envelopes are often in C sizes. My printer used to use a B size for printing my magazines. D sizes are often used for cash payment envelopes and E size is a speciality size

c4 is an explosive!

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

c4 is an explosive!

oh, I didn't know that, not needing to use it. I prefer Semtex any way

9 minutes ago, fredk said:

OMG he's Joking

I like det cord OL

3 hours ago, fredk said:

oh, I didn't know that, not needing to use it. I prefer Semtex any way

C4 was my go-to when I was blowing things up for the Army, 45+ years ago. I like it, easy to use, you can cook your rations on it, even fish with it.

22 hours ago, imocow said:

I'm just getting started with leather craft - I wanted to make a bag out of a single A4 piece of leather, and this is the result

That's really nice! Could you show us a picture from the side, please? I'm interested in the gusset and the bottom corners...

On 1/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, imocow said:

A4_front copy.jpg

Are you sure its A4? It looks more like A3 to me

21 hours ago, fredk said:

I thought the same thing, but then I held an A4 notebook against me and it's actually pretty big. I suspect the side seam is in the middle so that both front and back contribute to the gusset. Or???

I believe A3 printers are pretty rare...

For our US friends this is the European standard paper sizes, Each size double the side of the next i.e A5 doubles to A4 and so on

A_sizes.jpg

Edited by chrisash

O'h for goodness sake !!!!!!!!

Is this about a nice bag that the maker  has made or  the size of a bit of bloody paper ????

@imocow Its a lovely bag, I quite like it . I too have experimented with .. 'cough ahem'...... " bags with a similar dimension to paper", going by customer demand. Not too big or bulky . 

Looks like  a one piece creation  ?? . I have done two piece creations using kangaroo hide. Mostly 'one offs ' . Keep up the good work  :)

HS

On 1/15/2022 at 9:06 AM, Klara said:

That's really nice! Could you show us a picture from the side, please? I'm interested in the gusset and the bottom corners...

Here's the side! It's stitched right side to wrong side because I wanted a smooth rounded sort of shape

stitch detail.png

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 18.07.42.png

On 1/15/2022 at 12:03 PM, fredk said:

Definitely A4 (but that doesn't include the leather for the straps). It does happen to be pictured on a particularly small person here which makes it look  bigger! The final bag is approx 14 x 9 x 3cm (5.6 x 3.6 x 1.2")

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Is this about a nice bag that the maker  has made or  the size of a bit of bloody paper ????

@imocow Its a lovely bag, I quite like it . I too have experimented with .. 'cough ahem'...... " bags with a similar dimension to paper", going by customer demand. Not too big or bulky . 

Looks like  a one piece creation  ?? . I have done two piece creations using kangaroo hide. Mostly 'one offs ' . Keep up the good work  :)

HS

Thanks :) Yep, a single piece (except the small strips enclosing the D-loops)

12 minutes ago, imocow said:

It's stitched right side to wrong side because I wanted a smooth rounded sort of shape

Wow! You must have small hands, to accomplish that! How did you get needles/awls in there?

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

HS

There did seem to be confusion so I clarified, did you have a few to many tinnies

45 minutes ago, imocow said:

Definitely A4 (but that doesn't include the leather for the straps). It does happen to be pictured on a particularly small person here which makes it look  bigger! The final bag is approx 14 x 9 x 3cm (5.6 x 3.6 x 1.2")

Thanks, gotchya. Its a fine bit of using what you have to the mostest degree

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Wow! You must have small hands, to accomplish that! How did you get needles/awls in there?

Haha, I actually have pretty large hands (for a woman), but yes, getting the needles in there was quite tricky - I did both short sides first so I was sort of working my way up and out of the bag as it came together

Thanks for the pictures! It's not how I imagined, but most probably looks better. The bottom corners sure look tricky... and the rest not too easy either. I think that's a case where I wouls punch the holes all the way through so I could work without awl - did you?

1 hour ago, Klara said:

Thanks for the pictures! It's not how I imagined, but most probably looks better. The bottom corners sure look tricky... and the rest not too easy either. I think that's a case where I wouls punch the holes all the way through so I could work without awl - did you?

Yes, I punched it all first and didn't use an awl

I don't know if its a4 but its A OK

With those D rings you could easily add an accessorry of a shorter strap to make it a clutch or handle thingy.  Excellent work!