drumminor2nd

Weaver Cub: So far, so good

Hey, all. I scrimped and saved to get a leather sewing machine that could handle thick holsters and the like, but also not cost $3,000 for the thickness I plan to sew and the accessories I desired. I went with the Weaver Cub for a couple of reasons -- I like the hand crank over the lever (personal preference, I guess), after adding a material guide and shipping it was only $150-ish more than a Cowboy Outlaw -- and made in the USA. Unfortunately, it's been chronically out of stock for at least a month since I set my sights on it.

Fortunately, it popped up in stock for about 30 seconds last week, so I ordered it. It came yesterday in a big box ready to go. I clamped the board it came on to my work table, hit the oil points, and tried out a piece of scrap or two. I figured out a stitch groover gives the best result, and I learned how to use the stitch size adjustment. After about 10 minutes, I felt ready enough to attack my first project -- a simple holster for an 1860 Army I own that I was putting off sewing up by hand. I think I'm getting the hang of this. Also, with very little fiddling, I worked just as I hoped (for $1,900 after tax, it better work out of the box...). I need a hammer to flatten out the stitching a bit afterward, but I'll get one this weekend. A cheap LED light will also come in handy. 

I think it's pretty easy to just keep cranking in a straight line on it. I think I need a new belt next... Attached are the first project, and the machine (with cat for scale).

Quick question: I know the needles are the same as the Tippmann and Cowboy machines, but what about the bobbins? Also, where's everyone's favorite place to pick up thread? It came with half a pound of white 207, and I want some brown 277 next.

unnameds.jpg

IMG-7070s.jpg

The stitching looks good, just curious why you didn't burnish the edges?

Nice pussy cat, looks like a long-haired bitsa.:)

Congrats on the purchase.  Looks like a nice stitch.

I buy thread all over the place, mostly Bob at Toledo Sewing Machine but also Springfield Leather, Weaver & Cobra Steve. It all seems to be similar quality.  Just buy it wherever you need to order leather or other supplies. 

Edited by Joon1911

On 1/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, dikman said:

The stitching looks good, just curious why you didn't burnish the edges?

Nice pussy cat, looks like a long-haired bitsa.:)

I promise, nowhere near done yet -- just did the stitching and was excited that it worked so well. 

Willow appears to be half muted calico and half dog (chases her tail, plays fetch, sits and stays, begs for table scraps, etc.).

Perfect stitches, I must tell you!

Reminds me that I too want to buy those stamps!

Edited by DrmCa

Looks pretty nice!

I’m glad yours is working for you. I’m having a heck of a time with mine locating the lock knot. Knot is near the top of the work so manual indicates tension is too tight but the top tension knob is all the way loose.