Thescandall

First try on my new Techsew 5100.

I’ve never sewed a thing in 63 years with a machine.  Hands ( mostly thumbs) are getting a bit of arthritis from hand stitchin. 

So I bought me this machine and put it in my shop Wednesday and started messing around with it.  Now I have watched every video of a 441 class machine on the net for over 1.5 years procrastinating about unassin the funds for one. The deal came around for a used one and I pulled the plug. 

I really have a lot to learn like, going around corners, sewing close to the edge, focusing on the needle position when turning, that kinda stuff.  A lot of my problem is I’m blind. I was wearing 2 pair of Cheater reading glasses  so I could see better. 

its not terrible tho. Not great but I’ll wear it.  It’s for my personal 357.  I oiled my gun and crammed it in a freezer bag , wet the leather ,then stuffed it in. Put some scrap spacers in strategic places and  now the wait is on.  

This is just the holster. It goes in a drop down gun-belt that is in the making. I used Chicago fasteners to close it so I can open it back up later and sew the flap on the back thru the slot in the belt  

Oh well !!!  It’s a start..

19020CAD-BE6A-4C7F-B6F3-2D0E1DACD91C.jpeg

C88963FF-AD42-4B96-8F14-47C41F62D2D7.jpeg

I think you're doing great! There will be a learning curve, I've had my class 3 for a bit over a year now and am just beginning to feel like I am getting it dialed in. Arthritis forced me to up the $ for one as well. Just remember that bigger stitches are not always better.

Thanks. It was much easier. I’ll straighten it up soon. Kinda  crooked for a start.  

The back. Being formed. 

04712023-29B5-4E50-A564-835F70EAEB68.jpeg

How exciting!  New sewing machines are fun.  I think you did pretty well having never sew on a machine.  Do some practice pieces with curves and maybe try using the handwheel as you go around curves.  

Hey its a beautiful Holster and the stitching looks fine.I'm in the same boat. I got a singer99 coming should be here in a few days. Never even saw a sewing machine close up. So I guess I'll be lookin at videos to learn also. The scary thing to me is getting the dam thing threaded, looks pretty complicated. In this hole around that thing down under this and wrap around that then then thru this hole bla bla bla YIKES

11 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Hey its a beautiful Holster and the stitching looks fine.I'm in the same boat. I got a singer99 coming should be here in a few days. Never even saw a sewing machine close up. So I guess I'll be lookin at videos to learn also. The scary thing to me is getting the dam thing threaded, looks pretty complicated. In this hole around that thing down under this and wrap around that then then thru this hole bla bla bla YIKES

I think my biggest problem is eyesight. I’m gunna spray all that shiny stuff black and just leave the needle silver. Or maybe get new glasses.  

You got a good start!  And a  new holster!

Yer already aware ya got some learnin's 'n' practicin's ta do, so yer good ta go.  Looks like you fixina be jus fine ;)

No doubt at your age you have the benefit of knowing some things that these younguns can't seem to grasp as yet ... like $23 for a cheap little light is INSANE, especially when harbor freight has little magnetic LED thingies 2 for $5....

Actually this thing came with the led little light and a big one that has an arm to position it with. It’s the shiny presser feet and stuff being the same as the needle. I may be suffering from glare. Lol.  Flat black is a nice color.  

11 hours ago, Thescandall said:

I think my biggest problem is eyesight. I’m gunna spray all that shiny stuff black and just leave the needle silver. Or maybe get new glasses.  

Try a led magnetic light from Amazon.com that should brighten things up. You can get two for $15.99 US ( https://www.amazon.com/AUTIDEFY-Lighting-Multifunctional-Gooseneck-Workbench/dp/B09K7F45Z4/ref=sr_1_12?crid=Y59GJ6BO0Y8R&keywords=led+sewing+machine+light+flexible+work+light&qid=1642258315&sprefix=led+sewing+machine+light+flexible+work+light%2Caps%2C50&sr=8-12 ).

kgg

42 minutes ago, kgg said:

:rofl: @Thescandall I'm guessin' this guy isn't getttin' what yer sayin' 

Something goes wrong around the trigger guard, in the turn. Do you stop and start, at that point?

The fit is fantastic this morning. Other than a little crooked stitchin I’m somewhat impressed with my first go around using a machine. 

It’s  super thick and should last as long as the 277 thread holds up. I used 9-10 oz with a 4-5 oz liner. 

Now I get to try ,this machine with Bullit loops. That’s my horses name. Lol. Bullit. 

My eyesight is not what it used to be either. My cobra. Ame with both lights and I use them both. I wonder if a magnifying glass with a light that has an arm that could clamp on the machine would help with vision issues.i see them on Amazon. 

1 hour ago, Hags said:

My eyesight is not what it used to be either. My cobra. Ame with both lights and I use them both. I wonder if a magnifying glass with a light that has an arm that could clamp on the machine would help with vision issues.i see them on Amazon. 

Actually I think a pair of 2.5 Walmart cheater glasses would do a heck of a lot of good.  I won’t be able to see far but up close would be grand. 

Ive never used a machine before until now. 

Edited by Thescandall

You're doing great.So much fun with a new machine eh?

But, yep, good lighting . I have 2 desk lamps. I also need to go back to ' specsavers ' . 

1 hour ago, Thescandall said:

Ive never used a machine before until now. 

It'll all come good with practice , just keep your fingers away from the pointy end of the small 'nail' , you'll be just fine  :)

Have fun 

HS

That holster looks like a good effort to me. I use a set of them magnifying glasses always when I sew and I do spend a bit of time getting the light so that it gets right in where I need to see the needle going in. I also use an open toe foot for that reason. One thing I did notice is that the thread cones are way too close to where they feed through the stand. This will often give you a bit of intermittent tension issue and it is best practice to get your cones as low to the table as you can get them to avoid that problem. Very nice looking set up other than that.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.  I would have never thought of the cones being too close.  Could be what sticks is saying as well.  Adjustments will be done when I get back to the ranch.