Bert03241

opinions on the singer 99k

I don't make a lot of stuff mostly knife sheaths and holsters wallets and the like. Use 6 to 8 oz veg and 5 to 6 Oil or chrome . I plan to upgrade the 99 with a 1.5 amp motor and the larger fly wheel.  Do you think I'll be happy with this machine?

No its a domestic designed for fabric and occasionally use 1mm soft chrome leather you would be wasting your time trying to upgrade it. have a look on eBay for second-hand industrial machines or i thing craigslist in the USA

You may break the 99 trying to sew veg-tan leather that thick. The take-up components and needle bar aren't beefy enough to take the pounding from penetrating medium-hard to hard density leather. You might could use it to sew thin chap leather if you get a roller foot instead of the fixed flat foot. A Teflon foot will also work (until you forget and drop it onto the feed dog teeth! Ask me how I know!).

I used to refurbish and sell old Singer iron body machines and sometimes tested them on 4-5 ounce leather. One layer happened, but not two, at least not reliably. The stitch length was unsustainable due to drag from the presser foot having to be cranked down to prevent the leather from lifting with the needle and thread. Further, the top tensioners have soft springs meant to tension cotton thread, not bonded nylon. I found I had to back off the bobbin tension almost all the way to bring the knots into the middle of about 6 to 8 ounces of chap leather. The only models that didn't choke on it were the 27 and 127 with the bullet shuttles. Those maxed out at 8-9 ounces of bridle leather, using #69 bonded nylon thread and a #18 needle. But, they sewed it perfectly.

99 works excellent on wool coats. Many of them were used to stitch trench-coats, over the last few world wars. But it will either mark light leather or not feed heavier leathers. Spend $300-400 on a walking foot machine, and that will be the a much better investment.

You may be able to replace a zipper on a leather jacket but that will be the most these machines can handle reliably.

thats really disheartening news as I bought one on the advice of someone else on this forum that said it worked just fine.:unsure: 

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

thats really disheartening news as I bought one on the advice of someone else on this forum that said it worked just fine.:unsure: 

Read this topic about the type of machine you need to sew leather.

Here is a web page that explains how to use a roller foot on a domestic sewing machine for difficult to feed materials.

If you want a link to buy one, PM me via the forum Private Messages.

Just beware that a roller foot, though enables you to bridge the gap to sewing heavier leather, has a learning curve and its own issues with stitching onto and off thick steps. I hope you did not pay too much for your learning experience. The best course of action would be to sell the 99 and buy a walking foot machine.

I recently purchased a Singer 99k to get into the leather sewing.  Wizcrafts as always, hit the nail on the head with his response.  From my personal experience, with the right adjustments, it will sew comfortably with a 100/16 needle with #69 bonded nylon on light to light medium material.  I really don't feel it will handle veg tan - the mechanics are far too small and you are setting yourself up for frustration.  Again speaking from experience, upgrading the motor and/or the flywheel doesn't dramatically transform the machine.  

I bought my 99 just for putting holes and sometimes thread through 1mm leather. I'll not say 'sew' as the job isn't actually sewing

The main reason it was chosen was for the non-stop stitch spacing, ie variable spacing without 'stops' at different settings

Edited by fredk

theres a lot off conflicting opinions about weather the 99 can sew leather. I bought mine before seeing all the negatives and now I'm stuck with it. But after watching a few videos and this one I'm thinkin maybe I'll be ok. Might have to do a few upgrades but will see. If not I can always sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25IsGvlmYw

There is no way that those pieces of leather are 10 ounce!! 10 oz = 4mm. What he is sewing is closer to 2 to 2.5mm or 5 ounce

However, the last time I used my 99 was just to punch holes along the edge of a wallet. Total thickness was nearly 3mm, or about 7oz. But punching holes and sewing are different poodles

Ditto! 99 can only stitch 3-5oz leather in 2 layers tops. Everything else is pushing it. We used ours to change zippers in leather jackets for quite a few years until we got the Pfaff. It used to be a torture, now it is a breeze.