WalterF

4 Finger Cigar Case

Had a friend ask me about a 4 finger cigar case to hold her cigars for the day. This is the first one off of the forms that a friend made me. Now to make 3 and 2 finger cases.

DSC01650.thumb.jpg.9c25152bae03d116eb37518a77df23a8.jpg

I notice all the cigar case's I've seen have the slide on top and not a snap closure, any particular reason for this?

31 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I notice all the cigar case's I've seen have the slide on top and not a snap closure, any particular reason for this?

IMO so you don't smoosh your gars pushing on the snap and so the case can fit different lengths. maybe other reasons too.

3 hours ago, WalterF said:

Had a friend ask me about a 4 finger cigar case to hold her cigars for the day. This is the first one off of the forms that a friend made me. Now to make 3 and 2 finger cases.

DSC01650.thumb.jpg.9c25152bae03d116eb37518a77df23a8.jpg

simply perfect.

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

IMO so you don't smoosh your gars pushing on the snap and so the case can fit different lengths. maybe other reasons too.

simply perfect.

sounds logical :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, WalterF said:

her cigars

Wow! A picture is likely unavailable but (in president Nixon's voice) I'd like to see that!

Nice work!

On 1/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Bert03241 said:

Like Chuck said, not to dent the cigars.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:52 PM, chuck123wapati said:

simply perfect.

agreed, thank you

On 1/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, DrmCa said:

Wow! A picture is likely unavailable but (in president Nixon's voice) I'd like to see that!

Nice work!

More ladies smoke cigars than I would have thought.

Looks very neat

On 1/21/2022 at 2:22 AM, Bogwot said:

Looks very neat

Thank you, 

I've been wanting to make some of these myself, so in the event that I wanted to..umm...steal your idea, how do you go about making one? I know cigars are sized by the "ring" but that's about it. Did you wet form it? Are there cigar forms for making cases, or should I not ask??

On 1/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, Chux said:

I've been wanting to make some of these myself, so in the event that I wanted to..umm...steal your idea, how do you go about making one? I know cigars are sized by the "ring" but that's about it. Did you wet form it? Are there cigar forms for making cases, or should I not ask??

Sure, I use a form a friend made out of walnut and sealed them because of the wet forming I don't want the forms to absorb the water. I fit these specifically for the Pedron cigar in the tube. The person I made this for wanted it to hold four cigars. A great video to watch about how it is done is this one. If this doesn't answer your questions feel free to ask.

Well....damn. idk, why but I always assumed that they were made half at a time, front side, back side then stitched together. I should probably do some "actual research" instead of trying to figure stuff out on my own. Exotic leather isn't something I've had experience with, but that being said I think I'll be attempting to make one of these with plain ol' vegtan...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!!

Still wondering how they size the top to bottom to fit so snugly?:dunno:

Edited by Bert03241

Wonderful case and thanks for the video.  Always nice to learn something new.

The other thing I wonder about is these things are pretty big like 4" wide 5" tall, do people actually carry one of these things? I mean your not gonna put it in a pants of shirt pocket so where do you carry them. ? thats a 3 cigar case diam.

Edited by Bert03241

On 2/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, Bert03241 said:

The other thing I wonder about is these things are pretty big like 4" wide 5" tall, do people actually carry one of these things? I mean your not gonna put it in a pants of shirt pocket so where do you carry them. ? thats a 3 cigar case diam.

Women carry purses....

I'm scared of putting my hand inside of my wife's purse...seen an eagle climb out of there once...they got talons and beaks and a wingspan that can carry off a small sheep in a minute.  

Ever since I've been wary of women's purses...

The thing that I am wondering is how he lined it.  Most cigar cases are lined with various woods or plastic to protect the cigars from absorbing the odors from the leather and keep the moisture in the cigar.  

Otherwise it's beautiful craftsmanship

Yea you really got eagle's. I didn't realize you had to line them, makes sense tho

In the video posted, when they sewed the seams there is a "guide" that they are pressing against. What's that called?? I tried Google but I can't seem to find it, could that possibly be a custom made piece and thats why?? 

Stupid question I'm sure but having something like that might make it possible for me to use the machine I bought but cant for the life of me get a straight stitch. God knows it cost me a months rent and I really would like to be able to use the damn thing...

Its called a stitching guide.or sewing fence. just google it. There cheap and come for many machines

Edited by Bert03241

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Its called a stitching guide.or sewing fence. just google it. There cheap and come for many machines

Thanks! I just googled "sewing machine accessories" and then went to images to see if I could find a picture with one. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:11 AM, Bert03241 said:

Still wondering how they size the top to bottom to fit so snugly?:dunno:

One way I can think of to get a good fit is to make the bottom half a bit longer than you need, Cut off the extra and use it as a spacer on the form, molding the top half over it.

There are probably other ways, even a 'correct' way, but trial and error works for me.

I think the whole full lid thing, instead of a flap and snap, is about air flow. Cigars need to be kept so they won't dry out, which is why humidors are a thing. While a leather case is never going to be air tight, its really about reducing the chances of air flow. 

I think I have it figured out. I have some scrap and am in the process of making one. Won't  be pretty but if it comes out ok I'll ty to make a decent one. :yes:

27 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I think I have it figured out. I have some scrap and am in the process of making one. Won't  be pretty but if it comes out ok I'll ty to make a decent one. :yes:

You and me both, lol, I posted my "soft case" didn't seem to do so well...

Made a laminated "hard case" came out much better but didn't want to hijack this thread and doing *another* separate post made me feel like I was being a little too desperate lol

Yea but I think we would like to see it.:yes:

On 2/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, Bert03241 said:

Yea you really got eagle's. I didn't realize you had to line them, makes sense tho

I might be exaggerating a bit with the eagles...:rofl:

But the lining is to keep the cigars from tasting like leather and their moisture level up.  Usually (but not always) the smaller cases that hold one or two aren't lined because that's what they will smoke in a day...so less infusion of the leather and little moisture loss. 

Some are lined with plastic or cedar or something.  None of the linings are very thick...1mm usually.  

I did see one that was actually made out of wood that had some leather trim.  But it looked kinda clunky and heavy.  

I just finished a pen case for my wife that has a telescoping slide cover like a cigar case...I wet formed some belly leather to make the inside and covered it with a thinner veg tan.   

My hand stitching sucked...so I'm so embarrassed that I am not planning on posting a picture.  But my wife seems to like it anyway.  

Wow cedar huh. That has a strong odor, wouldn't transfer to the cigar's?:dunno: