does anyone have a chap lacing diagram for closure

Not sure this is what you were referring to  but here is one method of attaching the back belt.  

3e7b297802874974c659a02f340d571b.jpg

Thanks, Bland . . . I've never used that myself for anything . . . but that is really a neat "connection" there.  

For the chaps I've made (just a few) I got the old sewing machine out and just sewed em on.

But I really do like that.

May God bless,

Dwight

17 hours ago, bland said:

Not sure this is what you were referring to  but here is one method of attaching the back belt.  

3e7b297802874974c659a02f340d571b.jpg

no this isn't what i meant but this is very useful i meant the closure for the whole leg =D

52 minutes ago, hickok55 said:

no this isn't what i meant but this is very useful i meant the closure for the whole leg =D

Do you mean to lace the leg closed? I've never seen or heard of such. Either straps with clips, or zippers. 

this is what i'm talking about

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 12.16.27 PM.png

2 hours ago, hickok55 said:

this is what i'm talking about

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 12.16.27 PM.png

that is called a running stitch, IF i remember right the legs are basically sewn together with those laces. i have no idea if an actual diagram would be available for that. but its covered in most lacing books. You can also add Conchos there. Tandy has a pattern pack for chaps that might show you how.

21 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that is called a running stitch, IF i remember right the legs are basically sewn together with those laces. i have no idea if an actual diagram would be available for that. but its covered in most lacing books. You can also add Conchos there. Tandy has a pattern pack for chaps that might show you how.

That's a nice looking pair of chaps.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

with a running stitch on chaps would i be able to unlace them to get them on.

4 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I'm guessing the lace was pulled through with a 'collar awl'.

vintage-collar-awl-7996046.jpg (957×1300) (dreamstime.comvintage-collar-awl-7996046.jpg)

thank you. =D

31 minutes ago, hickok55 said:

with a running stitch on chaps would i be able to unlace them to get them on.

thank you. =D

highly unlikely i think the original  ones were probably big enough to get on over the  pants and boot but I'm just not old enough or versed enough to know. The new ones have zippers so can be narrower and that stitch would be ornamental. Now you know your looking at shotgun chaps other types like bat wings are not made the same and have different methods to go around the leg.  

This pair use that lacing to adjust the zipper for leg size.  The leather that the zipper is sewed to has 2-3 sets of holes for the lacing to go through to make the leg size larger or smaller.  Hope this helps.

100SG-No-Fringe.thumb.jpg.59135c4539ad64d3e4565583788be6eb.jpg

17 hours ago, jrdunn said:

This pair use that lacing to adjust the zipper for leg size.  The leather that the zipper is sewed to has 2-3 sets of holes for the lacing to go through to make the leg size larger or smaller.  Hope this helps.

100SG-No-Fringe.thumb.jpg.59135c4539ad64d3e4565583788be6eb.jpg

thats a cool pare of chaps

6 hours ago, hickok55 said:

thats a cool pare of chaps

Just "no nonsense" working chaps but simplidity is my style (assuming I have "style").

6 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Just "no nonsense" working chaps but simplidity is my style (assuming I have "style").

Are they veg tanned

My sincerest apologies!  I was wanting to show the lacing, so I grabbed the first picture I came to.  Those aren't the ones I made but the picture I, more or less "copied".  I used a slightly wider front belt and an 1.5" back belt and my photography isn't near that good.  No, mine aren't veg tanned and I assume those aren't either.  Unless you wanted to tool them, I'm not sure why you'd want veg tan.  It would also be hard to get it supple enough to wear and use all day, as well as more expensive. JM2C

ah i see. i heard the reason for using veg tanned leather is because it's tougher.

i haved used veg tan on the yokes but not for the "leggings".  I can't imagine how long or hard a man would have to work to wear through 4-5oz chrome tan as long as they are cared for.  I'm sure not saying it can't be done but sure that I can't do it.  With 4-5 oil tan it's sometimes difficult to get them supple enough to be comfortable.

Does any one have any 19th century shotgun chap patterns or helpful links.

15 hours ago, jrdunn said:

i haved used veg tan on the yokes but not for the "leggings".  I can't imagine how long or hard a man would have to work to wear through 4-5oz chrome tan as long as they are cared for.  I'm sure not saying it can't be done but sure that I can't do it.  With 4-5 oil tan it's sometimes difficult to get them supple enough to be comfortable.

I'm dowing veg tanned chaps I'll tell you how it goes =D