Sign in to follow this  
Aranea

Work with thick and stiff leather

Hello everyone,

i have a couple of questions. I buy years before raw leather for carving. I am a beginner. I want to make a journal. The thickness is 4-5 mm. I know for journal i must use under 4 mm. But i have this leather here and hope to make a good work with that. But is really stiff. Okay i know for 4-5 mm, it's normal that is stiff. But i think, the years that i have this huge piece it make it stiffer. I don't know what to do first. Should a make it more flexible/soften and than to carve or first carve and than make it flexible (i think i have this piece since 2010). I have fear too, that the leather can break later, after finish my project and use it. The Journal, should be 6 cm high. I want to prepare to make it more possible, or you say, sorry girl, your project fails sooner or later with this thickness of the leather.  Sorry for my english. But i try my best. 

Take a sample piece and oil it, either with Neat's-foot oil, or olive oil. Just a light coat, let it penetrate, maybe over night. If it hasn't softened, give it another light coat. I would hate to see you carve it and then not be able to get it softened up. It MAY take yet another coat, but go slowly so you don't saturate the leather. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Hello tsunkasapa,

thank you for helping me. I must correct me. It is 3 mm. I use yesterday a sample piece. It works. What do you think, how long i must wait, if i must oil it again? I used for my sample avocado oil. But i can use olive oil no problem. It is not dye right know. I want it dye too. If i am careful. Do you think, i can dye it later? If it takes longer, no problem. I have patient. 

I prefer to dye first, as the alcohol draws oils from the leather. But try dying samples both ways to see what happens. As to waiting between coats of oil, overnight should be enough. Also, warming the oil helps it to penetrate faster.