Had a request for a pancake for a glock 19.

Hermann Oak  7/8 veg tan

Fiebings pro dye light brown 

Cobra class 3, 207 bonded  nylon top and bottom

Initially formed in my vacuum set up

Dried in the wife's oven on the bread proofing setting

Resolene and water 50/50

20211219_183136.jpg

I wouldn't carry a Glock if it was given to me . . . 

But that's a darn fine looking holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah, don't own one myself.. 

Nice work indeed!

You must dye before assembling and sewing and molding?  I recently made a holster with those steps. Dye job w Feibings pro light brown looked nice, although dying gives me fits to get it even applying w a swab. I hate dying! After wet molding, however, color was darker and uneven. Your's looks great. How'd you do it?     John

29 minutes ago, Squilchuck said:

You must dye before assembling and sewing and molding?  I recently made a holster with those steps. Dye job w Feibings pro light brown looked nice, although dying gives me fits to get it even applying w a swab. I hate dying! After wet molding, however, color was darker and uneven. Your's looks great. How'd you do it?     John

I don't mean to butt in here . . . but years ago I was doing fine with black dye jobs . . . and dark brown dye jobs  . . . and most British Tan dye jobs. 

I "dunk dye" . . . have little 9 by 13 trays . . . one black . . . one brown . . . pour a pint of dye in there . . . in goes the holster . . .  sheath . . . belts get passed thru by their length.

Saddle tan and light brown I had a heck of a time with . . . UNTIL . . . someone mentioned I should oil them first.  Started giving every thing a light coat of neatsfoot oil the night before . . . allowing it to hang around until normal color came back . . . THEN . . . I would dye it.

Have not had one "dying event" since I started that process . . . and that was years ago.

Hope this helps . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

7 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I don't mean to butt in here . . . but years ago I was doing fine with black dye jobs . . . and dark brown dye jobs  . . . and most British Tan dye jobs. 

I "dunk dye" . . . have little 9 by 13 trays . . . one black . . . one brown . . . pour a pint of dye in there . . . in goes the holster . . .  sheath . . . belts get passed thru by their length.

Saddle tan and light brown I had a heck of a time with . . . UNTIL . . . someone mentioned I should oil them first.  Started giving every thing a light coat of neatsfoot oil the night before . . . allowing it to hang around until normal color came back . . . THEN . . . I would dye it.

Have not had one "dying event" since I started that process . . . and that was years ago.

Hope this helps . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks

Yes, I dye  before I sew etc. I use a dauber, first circular, then one way , then the across that. I then put a light coat of NFO. And not all bottles of light brown are the same.  The last one was several shades darker. I buy the 32 oz bottles. I also think wet molding evens it out and adds character. I dont think NFO before dye would be a bad thing, just isn't how I do it.

Overall don't look so bad, though I'd want the stitching closer to the gun and the sewing holes maybe a size smaller.

I think you did a fine job.  Stitching looks good and so does the dye job. 

If someone wants to carry a Glock that's their choice and a good one.  My Glocks have never failed me in over 25 years.  9mm ammo has come a long way for stopping power.  There's an advantage to not worry about the safety when in a self defense situation.

Dwight, this forum is made for butting in.  Thanks for the advice.  I've threatened to dip dye but swabbing is so much easier in my work space.  I'll think again.  I'll try oiling again. Dying black always comes out good.  Thanks. John

Ps.  Whats so bad about a Glock? Don't own one, just curious. 

Nothing against the gun, did not like the grip. Too square. I understand they have changed this in later models, but still dont care for them much.

5 hours ago, Squilchuck said:

Dwight, this forum is made for butting in.  Thanks for the advice.  I've threatened to dip dye but swabbing is so much easier in my work space.  I'll think again.  I'll try oiling again. Dying black always comes out good.  Thanks. John

Ps.  Whats so bad about a Glock? Don't own one, just curious. 

I'm simply a 1911 man . . .  I carry the single safest firearm widely commercially built.  

Glocks are an accident waiting to happen if you ask my opinion.  I don't recall ever hearing of a 3 year old shooting a Python or an Anaconda or for that matter a 1911 and shooting themselves, their sibling or a parent.

The cases where Glocks were involved (or their semi clones with the 3 lb trigger that has no safety) . . .  are sadly way too numerous.  

And until they introduced plastic fantastic holsters . . . there were any number of negligent discharges in police depts . . . the flap on the leather holster got caught in the trigger . . . BOOM . . . didn't make anybody's day. 

And of course there is always the FBI agent . . . teaching some gun safety class with the admonition something to the effect "Don't anyone handle these guns.  They are all unloaded . . . and I'm the only one here well trained enough to handle them safely (or something similar)" . . .  BOOM . . . didn't make his day either.

Then there is just the feel of holding it or shooting it . . .  kinda like a square tinker toy.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Very nice. Much too nice for a plastic pistol.

Thanks. As long as they pay me, I dont care what their choices are. The one I'm building a holster for now is not worth what they are paying me for the holster.. but, whatever.