Dwight

How to: Ladies purse insides

I have a purse I need to make for a special lady . . . and by chance I got my hands on one of her old ones . . . so I know the size she likes . . . and by looking . . . even what she liked inside the thing.

Now:  where do I get the little pockets . . . the zippered pocket . . . and the inside coating she has in her purse??  

Or do I have to "create" it ??

Just would love some good feedback on this . . . nothing that has to be done today . . .  but in the near future I will need to start on it.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Here is what I do

1. on both the front & rear panel I glue on slightly stiff coloured lining leather - but

2. on the front panel I just glue around the edges and leave a middle section unglued. I also leave a long strip along near one side unglued. These have been decided before hand and marked. At the top of these patches which are not to be glued I cut a slot at the top of them. Thus when the lining is glued in these form a pocket and a slot for a pen or pens

3. on the rear lining I do much the same but I cut a wider slot and glue a zipper over that slot, so when the lining leather is glued in that forms a zippered pocket.

4. Sometimes I've mixed these, with a small zippered pocket on the front as well as an 'open' one and the pen slots on the back panel with an open or zippered pocket or even pen slots on the gussets

The glued edges are caught up in the main assembly sewing of the bag

You can get handbag inserts or handbag organisers, (search those terms on Amazon for examples) down side is it may not be the same size as the bag and the pockets may not be in the same place.

upside you can just move the organiser to a new bag or different bag to suit. 

Make the insert lots of planning how it will work and all that but from what i see a man of your talent should have little problem the planning of the insert can be a lot of fun one thing go to a thrift shop get some bags a deconstruct it helps to see what others do good luck with it Dwight.

This video shows the whole ladies handbag procedure 

12 hours ago, chrisash said:

This video shows the whole ladies handbag procedure 

That was an awesome instructional video.  Thanks for sharing it!

YinTx

It is a nice one, I made a copy for my 76 year old sister but used Harris Tweed for the pattern and chrome leather

Pams bag 1 copy.jpg

Edited by chrisash

On 1/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, fredk said:

Here is what I do

1. on both the front & rear panel I glue on slightly stiff coloured lining leather - but

2. on the front panel I just glue around the edges and leave a middle section unglued. I also leave a long strip along near one side unglued. These have been decided before hand and marked. At the top of these patches which are not to be glued I cut a slot at the top of them. Thus when the lining is glued in these form a pocket and a slot for a pen or pens

3. on the rear lining I do much the same but I cut a wider slot and glue a zipper over that slot, so when the lining leather is glued in that forms a zippered pocket.

4. Sometimes I've mixed these, with a small zippered pocket on the front as well as an 'open' one and the pen slots on the back panel with an open or zippered pocket or even pen slots on the gussets

The glued edges are caught up in the main assembly sewing of the bag

Fred, do you have pictures you can show us of this?

48 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Fred, do you have pictures you can show us of this?

frayed knot, never took photos of them.

I gotta make a few bags soon. Maybe I'll take photos as I do