jellyroll

Journal Cover

So I have been trying to find some simple answers on something I have never made before............a journal cover.

I tinker a few times a year and make sheaths for knives, tools, and pistols.......but it's always heavier leathers and the end results are very firm/stiff leather.....perfect for the application.  But, I want to make a journal cover for my daughter out of some 2/3 ounce veg tan leather and I am perplexed at what's the best oil/method to make this very soft and pliable. I don't want add anything that would create a film that would soak into the journal itself.  I'm leaning towards pure neatsfoot oil, but not certain if this is the best choice.  Also, what would you recommend for a finishing coat?  I use Resolene on all of the sheaths (been wanting to get away from this), but I don't want this cover to have that shine.........I want something very natural looking that she can keep with her for a long time, something that will handle being thrown into a back pack or tossed around, and something that will age well with time.

Curious what y'all have used in this regard.

I never ever use any thing like just nfo on my book covers. I've had experience of this coming off on paper. I do use a nfo/wax mix to polish them but I only use a real minimal amount

Actually, you not really want the book cover to be too pliable. A stiff cover is better imo

9 hours ago, fredk said:

A stiff cover is better imo

I second stiffer covers. I like 4/5 oz covers and have used 7/8 oz in the past. Then do a seperate binding area in a thinner more pliable leather so it folds easy. I usually just wax and buff my pieces that im leaving natural vegtan. 

Sorry for my delay in responding............looks like Omicron decided to pay me a visit.

My thoughts on the more pliable cover were ease in opening and using the journal without the leather forcing a close.  I'm using a journal that has stiff covers.....one I've used for years and have grown accustomed to.

And I guess a basic leather conditioner for some type of protection.......maybe I've overthought this too much LOL.

I do one style of book cover. One is a cheapie made in upholstery grade leather and is just glued together, for the other I use 2.5mm [afair] 'belting' leather. That one is much stiffer but not unduly so

The cheapie, the leather is very soft and pliable. It relies on the stiffness of the book covers;

Book cover, 02s.jpg Book cover, 01s.jpgBook cover, 05s.jpg

[the same book cover, its the camera exposure which makes it look different]

The 'expensive' one, same basic pattern as the cheapie but a bit different with pockets in the front & rear flaps and I use a pen to 'lock' it

Book cover, type 2, Joyce, 01bLWs.jpg

Absolutely no problems with this one opening and closing. No self-closing, no cracking or wrinkling of the spine/bendy bit

I think it comes down to your choice of leather and the 'temper' it has. I choose my leather for a project according to which leather will work best without me having to fight it

Thanks for the explanation and the examples.  I like the work.  Can you post some pics of the inside of the "expensive" cover?  Would like to see what you added.........I especially like the pen loop for locking it.

I'm sure too that my first attempt will have multiple errors so I can make notes and readjust.  Guess I'll make a few and determine the pros and cons.

1 hour ago, jellyroll said:

Guess I'll make a few and determine the pros and cons.

This!!  
I'm like on my fourth journal cover and with each one I learn a bit more.  My latest is for my daughter, too, and I am using 6/7 for front and back panels so I can tool and a 2/3 for the middle binder and the inside flap for papers and such.   I'm still debating what weight I will use for the other inside panel where the book back will slip in.  Because the book will cover it, I don't know if I want to put any big tooling effort if it won't be seen much (but I can't help myself, sometimes!)    Probably just carve out a love note on it or something.  But super fun!

2 hours ago, jellyroll said:

Thanks for the explanation and the examples.  I like the work.  Can you post some pics of the inside of the "expensive" cover?  Would like to see what you added.........I especially like the pen loop for locking it.

I don't have any photos of the insides of the 'expensive' one

Here are photos of the inside of a 'half-way' one. Larger than the other two. They take a small  A6 size [closed size, about 4.5 inches wide x 6 inches high] notebook or diary, this one is for A5 sized [about 6 inches wide by 8.5 inches high] books

Inside front;

Course Work cover, 02LWs.jpg

Inside rear;

Course Work cover, 03LWs.jpg

This one is closed by a piece of elastic going around the front. The girl didn't want the pen type closure

Course Work cover, 01LWs.jpg

Again, just glued together, no sewing. Used a thick chrome tan on this one. Its was plenty stiff.

For the slit pockets, I cut the slot and glued on the back of the piece some very thin pig skin leather. I glued that just around the edges, so a small ruler or very small note book, or a credit card can be slipped in

On this cream one the pen holder goes through a slit and is just glued to the back of the flap piece

If you are concerned about the cover being so stiff it won't close and remain closed, the answer is to cut a v-groove into the leather where you want it to bend.  That can be one place, or any number of lines where you want to encourage it to bend/fold more easily.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Gouge-Adjustable-V-Metal-SLC

330-808200.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200