Bert03241

Singer 99K

Well my Singer came today and I'm  not sure things are right. please look at the picture.

To the right of the bobbin theres some red fuzzy stuff and what looks like a piece of spring steel. Does this look right to those who know this machine?

66 bobbin Pic (Copy).png

I don't have the red fuzzy but I do have a coiled spring there. Almost looks like yours is detached or broken. I've no idea what it does or what its for though

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

To the right of the bobbin theres some red fuzzy stuff and what looks like a piece of spring steel. Does this look right to those who know this machine?

Looks like the spring that keeps the bobbin ejector button ( the little round cross hatched button ) in it's normal up position is either broken or has become displaced. Maybe the red fuzzy stuff got caught and someone dislodged it taking trying to remove the red stuff.

kgg

anyone have a pic of what its suppose to look like or how to fix it.

do you think the machine will sew like this. I hat to try and mess something else up

This is mine;

99k, 01LWs.jpg

As far as I can see that coiled spring does not act on the bobbin ejection lever

15 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

What may help also is if you check the ismacs.net site for Singer 99k or even the Singer 66k manual ( https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/manuals/singer-sewing-machine-manuals.html )

kgg

28 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

do you think the machine will sew like this. I hat to try and mess something else up

press the bobbin ejection lever and see if springs back down.

I turned my machine a good few times [I have it converted to manual] and I could not see anything happening to that coil spring

edit; I checked my manual. Nothing about the spring. But it says, never loosen that big screw. Doing that will alter the clearance of the thread between the bobbin case and the bobbin position bracket

Edited by fredk

I pressed it several times the spring doesn't move at all:unsure:

I think I may have figure out what that spring is for;

That bar which the big screw goes thru - you lift its end and move to the front of the machine. This to get the bobbin case out. Under that lever is a thin metal spring type thing which bears on the bobbin case. The coil spring seems to bear on that to keep it tight on the bobbin case

edit; nope, I'm wrong. All that spring does is to keep that lever over into its slot. My spring isn't geat and its only between the side and the end of the lever, When I rotate the lever the spring compresses slightly

Edited by fredk

I pressed it several times the spring doesn't move at all:unsure:

I'll take it out later after dinner and see if I can figure how it goes

4 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I'll take it out later after dinner and see if I can figure how it goes

All that spring does is to keep that lever over into its slot. My spring isn't geat and its only between the side and the end of the lever, When I rotate the lever the spring compresses slightly. It doesn't and wont affect sewing at all

do you think the machine will sew like this. I hat to try and mess s

2 minutes ago, fredk said:

All that spring does is to keep that lever over into its slot. My spring isn't geat and its only between the side and the end of the lever, When I rotate the lever the spring compresses slightly. It doesn't and wont affect sewing at all

Awesome thanx, I'll see if I can sew with it. I need to get some thread and bobbin thread first tho. Off to the store tomorrow if I can find a store that sells this stuff

See if you can improvise a replacement out of a BIC pen spring. The size looks about right unless I am over/underestimating the diameter.

5 hours ago, DrmCa said:

See if you can improvise a replacement out of a BIC pen spring. The size looks about right unless I am over/underestimating the diameter.

Bic pen spring = too small in diameter, but would do