Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw68

Hope Saddle

Hi, I have an original early 1800s Hope Saddle. It is a half seat and double rigged in the Texas H style. The saddle is in overall great and rideable condition except for the rigging which I would feel comfortable riding for a couple of short light rides on my neighbor's little pinto cowpony, which I'm hoping to buy in a couple of years, but nothing more. The saddle fits the pony very well, like it was made for her, and it fits me well too and is comfortable. I'm wanting to replace the rigging so it will be safe, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how much that will detract from the price if I ever went to sell the saddle.

Mike Graham, the owner of Ruxton’s Trading Post in Manitou Springs, Colorado does saddle evaluations for The Western Horseman magazine. He and his wife, Gretchen, specialize in collectible pieces of Western Americana. The couple wrote the book Old Cowboy Saddles and Spurs, Identifying The Craftsmen Who Made Them