TheMortgageGuy

Pfaff 335-H3. Broken eccentric, not walking

Hello 

I picked up a Pfaff 335-H3 today as well as a Pfaff 142

the Pfaff 335 was partially disassembled , presser foot, needle assembly

after further review when I got it home it appears that the cam that controls the walking mechanism has broken and is no longer connected to the needle bar/ walking or presser foot..

has anyone seen this on the 335/ 145 or 545?

can it be fixed?

the little rectangular piece was attached to the circled spot in one pic.. it slid up and down on the inside track of the needle bar assembly

the machine was a great deal at $50 with table, air-servo control motor system… I will ditch the motor and add a servo, if when I can get this one running 

F6CC72AD-7BC0-416A-9042-4464EBBF5829.jpeg

9A97D3AA-2C5E-4CBF-BC37-85CB377EC0DA.jpeg

20B6E7DB-3C02-4194-A4E5-AAE0AE6CA343.jpeg

On 10/19/2016 at 8:41 AM, Constabulary said:

I have an older photo copy of the dismantling instruction + parts list for the Pfaff 145 in English language - if you are interested I can scan it and post it in the days to come. Or send it by email if the file will be too big.

I would love a copy…

I think this could be drilled and tapped.. but all new parts would be better 

58 minutes ago, TheMortgageGuy said:

Hello 

I picked up a Pfaff 335-H3 today as well as a Pfaff 142

the Pfaff 335 was partially disassembled , presser foot, needle assembly

after further review when I got it home it appears that the cam that controls the walking mechanism has broken and is no longer connected to the needle bar/ walking or presser foot..

has anyone seen this on the 335/ 145 or 545?

can it be fixed?

the little rectangular piece was attached to the circled spot in one pic.. it slid up and down on the inside track of the needle bar assembly

the machine was a great deal at $50 with table, air-servo control motor system… I will ditch the motor and add a servo, if when I can get this one running 

F6CC72AD-7BC0-416A-9042-4464EBBF5829.jpeg

9A97D3AA-2C5E-4CBF-BC37-85CB377EC0DA.jpeg

20B6E7DB-3C02-4194-A4E5-AAE0AE6CA343.jpeg

I found a great YouTube video. Showing a Pfaff 335 and many other machines being torn down and rebuilt into artwork…that sews

I see the part at 2:54 in the video, long rod with a pendulum type leg.. the piece that broke in my machine is tight and the rectangular piece would not rotate.. I’m guessing that’s why is snapped  

If anyone knows how to contact the YouTuber, let me know

A632968E-0C97-448C-9A5E-7C41D9EBE25F.jpeg

2 hours ago, TheMortgageGuy said:

I would love a copy…

I think this could be drilled and tapped.. but all new parts would be better 

Send me a PM with your email address

You might get some images here of the parts? 

9 hours ago, TheMortgageGuy said:

I found a great YouTube video. Showing a Pfaff 335 and many other machines being torn down and rebuilt into artwork…that sews

I see the part at 2:54 in the video, long rod with a pendulum type leg.. the piece that broke in my machine is tight and the rectangular piece would not rotate.. I’m guessing that’s why is snapped  

If anyone knows how to contact the YouTuber, let me know

A632968E-0C97-448C-9A5E-7C41D9EBE25F.jpeg

I found some parts on EBAY from lithuania and poland

The last pic with the red circle shows the part that broke off the needle bar rocker/ needle bar frame shaft

The first part was ordered as well because the tip from the needle bar rocker arm is stuck inside

Parts ordered....

If anyone else has spares of these two items locally, please let me know

682045341_needlebarframeshaft91-014710-01.thumb.jpg.aaba432c5c050d5f39d38828da6ab6c1.jpg

HX-67905 pfaff 335 guide slide part.JPG

pfaff 335 rocker bar.JPG

Edited by TheMortgageGuy
correction

Before you buy anything from out of country for tons of $$ in price and shipping cost, consider brazing the snapped part back on. It is trivial, after some basic training. All you need is a propane torch from CTC or Princess Auto (MAPP gas is better but not always readily available), a cylinder of that gas, hard silver solder (ex: A45 Silvalloy from Wolverine Joining Products) and a fire-proof surface to work on. If you make a mistake you can always re-heat and re-adjust the piece until perfect.

Or you can try to find a local welder with experience in brazing.

Edited by DrmCa

7 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Before you buy anything from out of country for tons of $$ in price and shipping cost, consider brazing the snapped part back on. It is trivial, after some basic training. All you need is a propane torch from CTC or Princess Auto (MAPP gas is better but not always readily available), a cylinder of that gas, hard silver solder (ex: A45 Silvalloy from Wolverine Joining Products) and a fire-proof surface to work on. If you make a mistake you can always re-heat and re-adjust the piece until perfect.

Or you can try to find a local welder with experience in brazing.

The tip is wedged into the square slider… I tried a hammer an punch and then heated it up with a torch to try and tap out the tip that broke off and is stuck in the square piece. ☹️
I spent $52 usd plus $30 shipping for the two separate pieces

Edited by TheMortgageGuy

You did not heat it high enough. It's cast iron. You can heat it as high as you wish. Then spray the stuck part with WD40 and hit.

Also, dremel works on cast iron like a charm, for those who are not comfortable with the heat or blunt force.

My parts are in and the needle bar assembly is back together..I put on a readily available presser foot, added the bobbin and stitched a couple of stitches manually.. now I am trying to figure out how to convert the old air operated foot lift system to a pedal actuated and how to remove the old knife assembly

the motor was an Efka variostop with needle positioner 

E93A6F42-B355-4507-A6F4-762434D1C34C.jpeg

51A79CAE-9344-4828-A7A3-C53A33C2B4D7.jpeg

EE23853E-BDC7-4D31-985F-6832F7A3C060.jpeg

BA5440A4-7EE1-4482-A4B2-22DD032BCB1A.jpeg

24D475A6-2C84-45AF-A5EE-1CCF6A9F67B1.jpeg

2 hours ago, TheMortgageGuy said:

now I am trying to figure out how to convert the old air operated foot lift system to a pedal actuated

with a chain or wire cable.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:31 AM, Constabulary said:

with a chain or wire cable.

My picture shows my arm assembly from an air actuated system.. the second pic is from leatherworker.net showing a lifter arm similar to a Pfaff 145/545 and this picture is from a 335 cylinder arm.. 

has anyone converted a system like mine to work like the original 335?  does anyone have a 335 arm (or 145/545) like in the second picture that they want to sell with the bracket/pin unit that I seem to be missing on my unit?

Inkedimage12_LI 2.jpg

335 presser lift arm.JPG

Edited by TheMortgageGuy