DJole

Turning this round bag -- can it be done?

Here's the round bag I'm making. I'm using a piped seam (for the first time) and a zipper opening.
I have the first side sewn on, zipper done and strap rings all completed. 
But before I go to the next step, side #2, I need to check if I will be able to turn this bag through that opening.
Both the round sides are 1 to 1.5mm thick veg tan, which is the sticky problem here -- will I be able to get it flexible enough to turn inside out?
Or do I go to a plan B?

tabs on.jpg

No, I do not think you will be able to turn it . . . . unless you totally soak the leather with water

Not sure I made a loop holster out of 7 to 8 oz and I was able to fold it around and get it thru two loops. wasn't to hard. I know your situation is different but hey it might work.

Whats plan B?

Edited by Bert03241

8 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Not sure I made a loop holster out of 7 to 8 oz and I was able to fold it around and get it thru two loops. wasn't to hard. I know your situation is different but hey it might work.

Whats plan B?

Plan B is to make one side turned, and the other side NOT turned. ;-)

9 hours ago, fredk said:

No, I do not think you will be able to turn it . . . . unless you totally soak the leather with water

That's what I was planning to do, so it's good to have a vote that this should work out okay. It's still going to be a pain, even with wet floppy leather, but I think it will be worth it in the end. 

As you have a seam allowance , why not try applying some paper staples along the edge and trying to see if it works, failing that you can just sort out the bag and lining , then turn in the seam allowance and sew around the top all the way

What ever way dont forget to remove all the staples

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

As you have a seam allowance , why not try applying some paper staples along the edge and trying to see if it works, failing that you can just sort out the bag and lining , then turn in the seam allowance and sew around the top all the way

What ever way dont forget to remove all the staples

That's an interesting suggestion-- some kind of temporary fastening around the edge. 
I could also just do a quick whip-stitch, like every 10 holes or so (I used a 4 mm stitching iron to make the holes), using cheap ugly thread, to test it out. 

My first thought Is a welt like a shoe sole and capture the piping. The piping will hide the raw edge the fabric can be turned.

Or, roll the leather edge and sew without piping.

what R paper staples?

Don't know for sure, but I do know it won't turn at all if you don't open the zipper before you stitch that last side on.  Don't ask me how I know....

:crazy:

It may work, considering the zipper opening is rather large, and the gusset is pretty large.  You'll just have to take it slow and work it.  You may get some bend marks in the tooled sides that you didn't want...

YinTx

17 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Don't know for sure, but I do know it won't turn at all if you don't open the zipper before you stitch that last side on.  Don't ask me how I know....

:crazy:

It may work, considering the zipper opening is rather large, and the gusset is pretty large.  You'll just have to take it slow and work it.  You may get some bend marks in the tooled sides that you didn't want...

YinTx

Heh-- luckily, I anticipated that being a problem, so I made sure the zipper is open before starting on the last side! :lol:
It will be a slow process, I bet.

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

what R paper staples?

Regular staples, like you use with a stapler in an office.  If I've got a tricky assembly, like with a gusset that's hard to hold in place before sewing, I often use a stapler to staple the assembly just outside of where I will stitch.  That way everything stays perfectly in place while I stitch and then I use a staple remover to remove them, or if far enough away from my stitch line I just use scissors to reduce the seam allowance, thus cutting them off.

Plier-Type Staplers PB323 | TENAQUIP

Edited by MtlBiker

Well, folks, thanks for the input! I didn't have to use temporary stitches or staples at all! 
I just finished the stitching, trimmed the piping down, dampened the leather, and turned it inside out!

turned1.jpg