CarOwnerDave

Leather steering wheel dye rubbing off on clothes

Hi,

The title says it all, my Leather steering wheel dye is rubbing off on my pants. I keep my iphone in my right pocket and it rubs against the steering wheel as I enter the car. My car is under warranty but the manufacturer is saying that it is deterioration of the leather. I claim it is a defect of the material. 

Any thoughts on how I might prove that it is a material defect? Does leather deteriorate in 3 years such that the dye starts rubbing off?

Is there a way to seal the leather after 3 years so the dye stops rubbing off onto my pants?

While it'll be a mission impossible, knowing who produced the leather in the first place would be a good place to start. It seems that it wasn't sealed properly during the  manufacturing process. 

So dye appears on your hands as well  ?  That should never happen. 

HS

The manufacturer is full of it. I've never heard of such a thing. What manufacturer are we talking about? Some wouldn't surprise me, some would.

This should never occur. What brand of a car?

I have a car with 17 year old OEM leather wrap, and its gray coat has only recently began to rub off along the seams, exposing the original die on the leather. Neither have ever bled on hands or clothes.

Edited by DrmCa

So strip it the heck off . . . make a new one . . . put it on . . . send pictures of the old one to the MFG corp headquarters . . . with a specific complaint naming the place you bought it . . . the salesman . . . the the geek who is giving you the problem about it.

At least you will not have dye all over you . . . and you may just get it fixed right.

Don't do that and all you will do is give yourself an ulcer and become a crybaby.

May God bless,

Dwight