Sign in to follow this  
gregintenn

A question about saddlebags

I’m thinking about making a pair of throw over saddlebags for my bike. If I make them out of heavy saddle skirting leather, will they be rigid enough that they won’t drag on my brake rotor or drive belt pulley, or would I need some sort of bolt on supports like you get with the cheap store bought bags?

Edited by gregintenn

When I was making a few of them, I arrived at this very good combination:

For the parts that would be next to the chain; #9 black boot soles (rectangular sheets of material) ;black latigo for straps; black chap for gussets and for the rest; black harness leather

Thank you for responding. I was beginning to believe I did something to offend the forum due to the number of views and lack of responses.

I can't remember all the details, but my brother had a shoe repair fellow make a pair of saddle bags for his motorcycle in about 1958.  They used sole leather for the back.  It extended up past the flap for the bag.  That top portion was used to bolt the bag to the cycle.  They got pretty fancy with black and white leather for the gussets, flap and straps.  Decorated it with a number of spots as well.  I believe this was the only set of bags he had made.  Finally sold his last bike last year.  He hadn't ridden it for several years due to hip surgery and the vagaries of old age and not enough exercise.