Nilzar

Showing my first mod and saying hi from upstate NY

Greetings,

I'm a Union Ironworker outta local 440 Utica NY. I've been screwing around with forging for about a year now.. making a few knives in my spare time. Wanted to get into leatherworking for sheaths for my knives. Then noticed all the leather goods I use to hold my ironworking tools on my belt. Thought to myself why am I going to pay someone else to make something I can learn to do myself. Seen a lot of custom leatherworking on my ironworking Facebook group that looked really nice. 

This was probably 6 months ago and I haven't even done one thing until today. My buddie gave me a connecting bar holder that he couldn't use because it was made to wear your connecting bar on your left hand side and he didn't like that. Nor do I.. so I went to my local leather shop for some rivets. Ended up buying a bunch of scrap peices and hardware. Drilled out the two rivets and redrilled the holes to change the mount. Probably your most basic task. But I took my time made sure it was good I liked it, riveted it back together and it felt pretty cool. Been researching about the craft and it led me here. 

You won't see posts from me weekly or anything but I'll definitely be around poking my head up asking questions here and there.

Wish me luck!!!

IMG_20220124_130242__01.jpg

Welcome to the forum! There's a LOT of information available and very experienced people around here who share a love for the craft. 

Welcome to the forum from SW Missouri.  Enjoy the craft!

Welcome from Massachusetts this is how it all starts next thing you know tour buying 5,000.00 dollar sewing machines and all the hand tools it does not end you'll see but good luck talk soon.

Hi, Nilzar! 

I'm also a newbie on here from Upstate NY.  Just curious, where is your "local" leather shop?  I don't have one near me, but would be willing to drive a little if it means I get to shop in person. ;)

On 1/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, Nilzar said:

Greetings,

I'm a Union Ironworker outta local 440 Utica NY. I've been screwing around with forging for about a year now.. making a few knives in my spare time. Wanted to get into leatherworking for sheaths for my knives. Then noticed all the leather goods I use to hold my ironworking tools on my belt. Thought to myself why am I going to pay someone else to make something I can learn to do myself. Seen a lot of custom leatherworking on my ironworking Facebook group that looked really nice. 

This was probably 6 months ago and I haven't even done one thing until today. My buddie gave me a connecting bar holder that he couldn't use because it was made to wear your connecting bar on your left hand side and he didn't like that. Nor do I.. so I went to my local leather shop for some rivets. Ended up buying a bunch of scrap peices and hardware. Drilled out the two rivets and redrilled the holes to change the mount. Probably your most basic task. But I took my time made sure it was good I liked it, riveted it back together and it felt pretty cool. Been researching about the craft and it led me here. 

You won't see posts from me weekly or anything but I'll definitely be around poking my head up asking questions here and there.

Wish me luck!!!

IMG_20220124_130242__01.jpg

nice work and welcome to the club. lets see some of that leather and steel this aint no union shop lol.

Chuck likes to work with metal too, if I remember correctly... :yes:

Welcome to the forum!