DJole

Round bag -- turned, with piping

I just finished this today -- got the second side stiched to the gusset and piping, trimmed the piping down, wet the veg-tan, and turned it inside out without too much trouble.

turned2.jpg

Here's an oblique view of the bag:

turned1.jpg

Quite the turn!  Glad it turned out well for you.

YinTx

you.... you see  what I did there....

Well done @DJole. Some times you just have to try it to find out. I am wondering if you have thought about putting in an internal stiffener with foam padding on top glued inside to improve the shape? This is a similar shape bag I have done recently that may help -

DSC02135_resize.JPG

7 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Well done @DJole. Some times you just have to try it to find out. I am wondering if you have thought about putting in an internal stiffener with foam padding on top glued inside to improve the shape? This is a similar shape bag I have done recently that may help -

DSC02135_resize.JPG

Not for this piece. This was my "learning to do zippers and piping" project. The bag you show there -- was it a turned bag?

17 minutes ago, DJole said:

The bag you show there -- was it a turned bag?

No it was not. This bag is made by stitching through the outside to inside capturing the gusset in the process. Neither the post machine nor the cylinder machine I used are good for this application so I have ordered a tall post with the feet on the inside to do any more of these. This bag is just a prototype one that has been accepted. DSC02116_resize.JPG

DSC02090_resize.JPG

@DJole Glad the turn worked out for you.

@RockyAussie Is that top piece skived and turned Brian or did you sew inside out and turn before top stitching?

46 minutes ago, toxo said:

@RockyAussie Is that top piece skived and turned Brian or did you sew inside out and turn before top stitching?

No the top and bottom are turned but not skived as I decided to put a filling stiffener in it to avoid the skiving. To assist with the overall shape I printed a 2 piece mould to help get every thing like the zip in the correct place. The 2 pieces go together first to wrap the gusset around and have the zip level up with the mould at the top. Once I remove the top mould section it is then the right height for the zip top to fold down into place. These pics may help-

DSC02089_resize.JPGDSC02099_resize.JPG

DSC02100_resize.JPGDSC02101_resize.JPG

This is just done this way as it was the way I wanted the end product to look like but this camera bag below I did recently was done inside out with piping and turned afterward as @DJole has done above. In this instance I elected to use flexible stiffeners and foam between the lining and outer pieces. being prototypes all the above pieces were cut out with my big/little laser. Cuts better than me and does not stretch longer when I cut with it.

DSC02486_resize.JPGDSC02494_resize.JPG

After the step above a binder was sewn around the edges to tidy it up then turned inside out.

DSC02498_resize.JPG

I am sorry to somewhat Hi Jack your post here @DJole and if I can find some more time I will load this stuff into my own separate post. I only intended to suggest that some foam padding and stiffeners may make your product sit a little better.