biker55

2 questions on stamping

1st, how hard should you hit the stamp to leave a good impression. I've had  to really wack it a few times to get a good impression. 2nd, I noticed that the end of the stamp that the hammer makes contact with mushrooms a little. the stamps are from ebay. should I be buying stuff from a reputable leathercraft store? Thanks

you need a wooden or plastic mallet or maul, or plastic deadblow hammer, dont use steel on steel or you will ruin your stamps no matter where you bought them. How hard you hit it depends on the stamp size and shape, how heavy the mallet is, no real way to explain but it just takes practice. When your leather is properly cased then the impression will have a burnished look. 

I use a rawhide mallet - and yeah, it deforms over time due to the impact.  This is GOOD, as it means the damage isn't in teh TOOL.

THE MOST important thing to learn in tooling is proper moisture in the leather.  Too dry, no good impression.  To wet, mushy impressions.

I use a drill press because it can be set up once, for the whole part, using the quill limiter.

Well you get what you pay for is certainly true. I have suffered from hitting the stamps too hard for a while when I started. I use a 16oz round polymer mallet and find that less is best. You will find that all tools take a different amount of stroke. A basket weave stamp of 6x12mm will take more force than than a small mulesfoot. Practice is the key. Get on Youtube and keep practicing.  But lose the metal hammer for tooling. 

Edited by Hags
Spelling

And it depends on the surface you tool on. Marble is easier than on a table top. The harder, denser the better.

Go to a granite shop and ask for a remnant.  They will probably give it to you.  I picked up a nice piece 24x 36 inches and they guy was even nice enough to put it in my truck for me.   It really helps to have a nice, sturdy pad to do your tooling on.

I later went back and gave them a wallet I made since they wouldn't take any money.

Thanks for the advice all. guess I just need to practice more, and watch more videos. was initially using a plastic mallet, but it wasn't leaving much of an impression.  I do work on a table top, but have a small metal block that I stamp on. I'll ditch the hammer. I'll buy a Tandy brand stamp, and see if it's more durable than the ebay stuff. don't know where Tandy gets it's stamps from.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, biker55 said:

Thanks for the advice all. guess I just need to practice more, and watch more videos. was initially using a plastic mallet, but it wasn't leaving much of an impression.  I do work on a table top, but have a small metal block that I stamp on. I'll ditch the hammer. I'll buy a Tandy brand stamp, and see if it's more durable than the ebay stuff. don't know where Tandy gets it's stamps from.

There are many, Tandy is the lowest price - but cheap material! There are others out there but feel free to ask about the company on here, chances are we have all tried at least one or two (stay away from cheap ebay delrin) businesses 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:05 PM, Doc Reaper said:

There are many, Tandy is the lowest price - but cheap material! There are others out there but feel free to ask about the company on here, chances are we have all tried at least one or two (stay away from cheap ebay delrin) businesses 

Tandy on certain stamps are crazy on their price, Best place I've found is StecksStore.

Are you using blue painters tape on the back of whatever piece you are tooling? Also you should be using a burnishing glass to prep your piece. That will compress the fibers in the leather and reduce the mushrooming.