ToddW

pig or cow suede liner

I'm looking for a good liner for my bags.  What I have read about Saddleback is that they used Pig Suede Liner but people complained that it made the bag too stiff.  I think I am seeing where they have moved to cow suede liner and seems to get better reviews.  My bags will have computers or ipads in them and want something to help protect a bit more and add a little (not a lot ) of stiffness (and weight).  My first bag didn't use a liner at all which seemed ok but wanted to take my game up a bit.  Thoughts?

For this section.. what suppliers have a good variety of colors of suede liners?

Todd

I have no experience with making bags, but I have seen some crafters use Alcantara as lining. Maybe worth checking out some samples and see if it would suit your needs?

I for some reason thought Alcantara was more expensive than the various suedes..  

I've used suede and pig skin, I like the feel of the pig better.  I've never found it to be too thick for a liner.  

Tandy

See if a fabric liner would work. Fabric is not as heavy. It does not make the bag to stiff either. Most mass-produced bags use fabric liners for these two reasons.

26 minutes ago, ToddW said:

Thanks!!

i use pig suede alot the stuff i get is about 1 mm and soft as any thing else you could use.

Pig has a visibly different GRAIN than cow.  But this  has nothing to do with how thick it is (or isn't), nothing to do with how soft it is (or not)....

In fact, I'd dare say that you can't tell which is which BY FEEL.  There are a GAJILLION ways to "make" suede leather, and that many variables makes it not possible to say what animal the skin is from "by feel".

I will say that - as a rule and there certainly wold be an exception - that cow is FIRMER and LESS LIKELY TO STRETCH than a similarly treated pig skin.

I personally DO NOT USE pig skin, because I DO NOT LIKE the grain in it.  The only exception is I have used some sueded pig as padding for rifle slings, but only where glued and sewn down.  As alternative to THIN linings that look good, I much prefer GOAT, which is also not the same grain as cow but FAR MORE resistant to stretch for the same weight (as a rule).

Not to throw a wrench in, but are you DETERMINED to use a suede liner?  That stuff is difficult to clean, traps "stuff" and "fuzz".... I wouldn't want it in a place I couldn't easily brush it out.

Hello dear group members, how are you?
I produce leather from cow and calf leather. I have thin and thick nappa, thin and thick lining, deer enamel soft floather leathers and we continue production. If you want, I would be happy to assist you in the leather supply.