Davm

Angled blade

I find it easier to make tighter turns with it. It also makes it easier to see the line ahead of the blade.

Thanks. I am new to Floral Carving. I did one holster, came out okay but the flower was large. I want to try smaller pedals, etc. with tighter curves and figured an angled blade may work better but thought I better ask to make sure.

i like them because i can hold them straighter and still see what I'm doing. 

I think angled blades are helpful if you are doing small letters or other things with really tight curves.  However in most floral carvings if I need to cut a tight curve I just lean my normal swivel knife back so I'm working it like an angled blade.  You can get your standard swivel knife to do the same job with a little bit of practice even if it has a big 5/8 inch wide blade in it.

I learned to cut at an angle by tipping it back as mentioned with my Tandy beginners swivel knife (I still have and use it!) But at an estate sale I found a ceramic angle blade (along with a bunch of other great finds) and this little guy made a big difference after I polished it up and has been my goto since.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I learned all my basics, first.