LomaeArts

Singer 31k20

A singer 31k20 popped up locally with the advert saying "the needle wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread".  Upon inspection, the mechanism was smooth, the bobbin shuttle a little rusty and the needle in the machine  was a really fine domestic D shank.  I determined it was worth the super low asking price, so it is now in my garage.

The machine came with many domestic spares including what looks like a fancy foot to convert a straight stitcher to a ZikZag  Most of these will go to a friend that does domestic machines.

first task is to source correct needles and replace the dreaded rubber main wire flex.

Cheers

Matthew

31k20_1.jpg

31k20_2.jpg

31k20_4.jpg

31k20_5.jpg

Edited by LomaeArts
spelling

That would make a nice restoration project. Love the foot pedal,  " Made in Australia"   :)

HS

It takes System DBx1 needles.

Well I'm impressed with the machine.  After running a bit, oil ozzed out from the head and made a suitable mess.  But I found when running at full speed ( yes, I rewired the motor and switch to make somewhat compliant) I found the machine would stall.  Initially I thought the needle plate was binding on the feed dogs, but us became clear the bobbin case was not as free as it should be.  A good rubbing with scotch bright, removed a reasonable amount of surface rust and grime  Now it runs freely again.  New replacement bobbin cases #20756 are on order as is new feed dogs and needle plate.  When I place some material under the lowered presser foot, the material feeds through nicely. I am still waiting for needle to be delivered.  That is when I try it out properly. 

So far this machine has cost me $AU 90.   I am happy the purchase.

5 hours ago, LomaeArts said:

$AU 90

That's 8x cane toad skins, which sets you back 8 wallets. :crazy:

Finally got some parts in.  The shuttle body  #20757 would appear to be impossible to source.  One I sourced from a local supplier sent #12393.  I have since ordered a new Hook # 12444 and a complete Shuttle Race #24415. ( all these fit on a 31k15)

When I attempted to remove the original drive hook I noticed two bumps on it as if there was a pin going through the hook and shaft.  a picture is attached. 

the parts manual show holes in the approx. position.

Before I start whacking and thought it would be better to ask "Would this be a pin I need to tap out? "

Thanx.

Matthew

31k20 hook.jpg

#12444.PNG

#19406.PNG