Frodo

Chinese Shoe Patcher

Cheap, unreliable, will not sew,  ETC ETC ETC  the rumors fly

In this video I sew a continuous stitch 5' long   .BUT BUT BUT the bobbin is to small!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe10cwu2LLc

Edited by Frodo

It's true with any product costing a tenth of what most would define as "quality", some are going to work out but many if not most are going to be a constant PITA.  I get the impression from your video that your patcher is far from out of the box factory stock.  Having said that, there are enough posts on the Forum that indicate even the best machines have their moments wasting hours of valuable production time and often a bit of cash as well.  At my level of experience and project throughput I'll stick with hand stitching although the wife does have an old treadle Singer stashed away that needs some investigating, if it's a heavy duty model I might try using it.

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

In this video I sew a continuous stitch 5' long   .BUT BUT BUT the bobbin is to small!!!!!

You forgot "Tinkers Delight" as you did make some changes to get it motorized.

kgg

43 second video  :yes:.  I like to keep my videos to 1 minute.  I have a CLSP (Chinese Leather Shoe Patcher) and it sews fine.  I fixed some of my shoes.  I would buy it again.

A few days back I decided to play a bit more with mine. I messed up everything I possibly could: the upper threading, the bobbin threading, the needle orientation... It tried its best to stitch and even succeeded for 1-2". Once I slapped myself on the forehead and fixed all of that, it began to lay perfect stitches on 2x layers of upholstery leather. It just works.

43 minutes ago, Squid61 said:

It's true with any product costing a tenth of what most would define as "quality", some are going to work out but many if not most are going to be a constant PITA.  I get the impression from your video that your patcher is far from out of the box factory stock.  Having said that, there are enough posts on the Forum that indicate even the best machines have their moments wasting hours of valuable production time and often a bit of cash as well.  At my level of experience and project throughput I'll stick with hand stitching although the wife does have an old treadle Singer stashed away that needs some investigating, if it's a heavy duty model I might try using it.

Those  old singer 66 treadles DO SEW leather,   Use a size 20 or 21 leather needle

I bought my second 66 couple of months back. It will sew 2 pieces of 6oz with out a problem

32 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

A few days back I decided to play a bit more with mine. I messed up everything I possibly could: the upper threading, the bobbin threading, the needle orientation... It tried its best to stitch and even succeeded for 1-2". Once I slapped myself on the forehead and fixed all of that, it began to lay perfect stitches on 2x layers of upholstery leather. It just works.

LOL   I have spent many an hour cussing my patcher. The tension adjustment will drive you insane till you get the AH HA moment

Darnit new tires got in my way. But sooner or later i will be tinkering also. Po folk got po ways!

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

The tension adjustment will drive you insane till you get the AH HA moment

For me it was backed out all the way on both tensioners and a little bit more (about 1/4 turn), when it began to stitch perfectly.

35 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Darnit new tires got in my way. But sooner or later i will be tinkering also. Po folk got po ways!

We used to have a restaurant called "Po' Folks"  They had a bumper sticker.........

808096781_pobutproud.thumb.jpg.956c5faee9a3ab78c6c03e8d796e19bb.jpg

Just now, DrmCa said:

For me it was backed out all the way on both tensioners and a little bit more (about 1/4 turn), when it began to stitch perfectly.

last week i was using `1 tensioner  set about half way.  today i am using both  almost maxed out

Did you run the bobbin thread under the tiny little flat spring on the case, on its way from the bottom hole to the top hole?

Which holes on the bobbin case did you use - near or far?

Edited by DrmCa

use the closest hole  if you need more tension

use the second hole if you need less tension

thread the first hole then into the second hole if you need max tension

YES, run the thread under the sp[ring

what you are looking at is surface area.  the first hole is closest to the screw  it will be tighter

than the second hole that is farther away from the screw

latest modification,  needle/halo lift  has always been a pita to reach. i moved it to the other side of the machine,  The red handle  was made by Chuck

002.JPG.a78b8000e0015d1c4d5bcdba7f90557a.JPG

Edited by Frodo

So you are sure that everything is threaded correctly but your patcher still does not stitch?

Only now I noticed that your top-left tensioner's thread guide is upside down from mine. Dunno if it matters but it may be worth trying to rotate it 180 degrees so that it sits above the top tensioner, not below.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Very Heath Robinson-ish pulley setup, Frodo - I love it!:lol:

Thank you !!  

If you like that.  check out my lamp.  do you see the brass lamp switch that has no bulb or shade?  that is the on/off switch for the lamp

I am into Steam  Punk Art 

001.JPG

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

Thank you !!  

If you like that.  check out my lamp.  do you see the brass lamp switch that has no bulb or shade?  that is the on/off switch for the lamp

I am into Steam  Punk Art 

001.JPG

Steam punk got its start in redneck engineering.  I dont see no duct tape lol.

35 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Steam punk got its start in redneck engineering.  I dont see no duct tape lol.

HA !! I have you  fooled.  No duct tape  BUT I have tie wire  instead of cotter pins  

002.JPG.80eae9295741749239f7549a1ca03cdd.JPG

19 minutes ago, Frodo said:

HA !! I have you  fooled.  No duct tape  BUT I have tie wire  instead of cotter pins  

002.JPG.80eae9295741749239f7549a1ca03cdd.JPG

ahh overengineering I see. lol bend em in the direction opposite of spin so they don't getcha.