DrmCa

How to hone a groover bit?

Bought a grooving tool that came with a bit that only works on hard veg tan. It only scratches latigo leather but does not cut. Probably because it is ground but not honed.

Does anyone know a method for honing it?

Edited by DrmCa

You may have gotten a dull blade . . . Tandy sells the blades for the ones they sell . . . they are cheap . . . might try that.

The other thing to finish sharpening most any shop cutting tool . . .  a cotton polishing wheel with polishing compound  . . .  just have to work to figure what angle to hold the blade.

I can polish up my pocket knife and it'll do some serious cutting.  Just need the wheel and some polishing compound.

It'll also put a serious finish on most anything you cut with.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Bought a grooving tool that came with a bit that only works on hard veg tan. It only scratches latigo leather but does not cut. Probably because it is ground but not honed.

Does anyone know a method for honing it?

Cut some grooves across a thick piece of v-t. Rub some rouge of different grades into each groove. Then push the groover in each groove, working  from the coarsest rouge to the finest. 

Edited by fredk

Nice! To push is the key. Gonna try that even though I can barely see the hole that I am supposed to hone around.

6 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

Nice! To push is the key. Gonna try that even though I can barely see the hole that I am supposed to hone around.

Cut the grooves really deep so the groover sits well down into the leather. Then all the surfaces around the hole will be getting rouged. Hold the groover at the same angle you would for cutting