Sabrina

Rivet name

What is the name of this rivet to fix a flat rigging plate like this ?

The back of the rivet don't have a cap, is it a hole.

Thanks! :)

IMG_2404(Edited).jpg

That is most likely a tube rivet. There is a hole in the middle and the rivet spreads outward. Look them up, you'll see them, very common. I have to agree with a post on the other thread thoug. I feel a copper rivet would serve better.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, Sabrina said:

What is the name of this rivet to fix a flat rigging plate like this ?

The back of the rivet don't have a cap, is it a hole.

Thanks! :)

IMG_2404(Edited).jpg

Can you show the other side

On 2/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, Sabrina said:

IMG_2407.jpg

It looks like a tubular type I think if I were to make this I would use a solid copper rivet with a burr just for strength that's just IMHO

I don't think they are tubular rivets. The tubular rivets I have used don't look like that on the back side. The tool I use is a peening setter and the back side of the rivet ends up looking different. They must have used some specialized rivet and press.

You could use either a copper or brass rivet and burr to accomplish the same result. A rivet press would be much easier than doing it by hand especially with a brass rivet.

You could also use a Chicago Screw with some loctite on the threads.

Ed

To me they are clearly tube rivets.  You can see on the underside that the rivet is hollow.  If they are installed properly they are quite strong and there's two of them on each side, so I suspect they will be adequate.  It looks like they already are.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ed in Tx said:

I don't think they are tubular rivets. The tubular rivets I have used don't look like that on the back side. The tool I use is a peening setter and the back side of the rivet ends up looking different. They must have used some specialized rivet and press.

You could use either a copper or brass rivet and burr to accomplish the same result. A rivet press would be much easier than doing it by hand especially with a brass rivet.

You could also use a Chicago Screw with some loctite on the threads.

Ed

I agree with you.  I'm no expert on hardware but it looks more like a single cap rivet.