kennh

Juki LS-341

I have an opportunity to buy an older Juki LS-341N with table and Servo motor for $1200. The machine is in excellent condition used by a hobbyist. My question is should I get the Juki or buy one of the 341 clones out there? Seems like I can get a clone for about $1600 which would be a brand new machine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

IMO if Juki is really in excellent condition than you might as well save $400.

I have a Nakajima 341 in good condition, never abused  and it runs smother than  the Cobra class 26 or the Techsew 2750 i had a chance to play with . I would go with the Juki even at $1600

7 hours ago, kennh said:

My question is should I get the Juki or buy one of the 341 clones out there?

I wouldn't hesitate to take a good used Juki over a new clone. Most of the new clones in this class are of the older Juki LS-341 even though some even call their clone a LS-1341 but in reality???

Photo of Juki LS-341: http://www.nickosew.com/details.php?id=508

Photo of Juki LS-1341: https://sewinggold.com/product/juki-ls-1341s/

Buying a brand name like Juki down the road will be a better investment, parts and accessories are readily available, resale is higher and it is easier to sell when you want / need to. Juki parts are guaranteed to fit Juki machines.

kgg

The Juki I’m looking at is not White it’s more kind of a Greenish Grey and doesn’t have the large bobbin. Must be older than a White one. 

18 minutes ago, kennh said:

The Juki I’m looking at is not White it’s more kind of a Greenish Grey

Sounds like an older one. Like with any used machine you have to go over the machine visually for sighs of worn out parts or poor maintenance as well as listening / feeling for rough operation. Also in the older ones don't forget to check the timing belt as it maybe worn out or dry rotted.

kgg

16 hours ago, kennh said:

The machine is in excellent condition used by a hobbyist.

Another thing to check is the history of the machine. Was this a one owner hobbyist machine, how long has that person owned the machine, why are they selling it and was it a machine that was used in a factory environment at some point. I am wary of machines, no matter of what brand they are, that have been used in a factory type setting as they are usually run hard, put away wet and disposed of when about to require repairs.

kgg

On 1/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, LeatherLegion said:

I have a Nakajima 341 in good condition, never abused  and it runs smother than  the Cobra class 26 or the Techsew 2750 i had a chance to play with . I would go with the Juki even at $1600

Juki bought out Nakajima some years ago and carried on the 341, 441, and a bunch of other models.  Their engineers went thru and tweaked each model to improve it.  some kept the same model number, some had brand new model numbers on them.  Nakajima still better than the clones of today.

glenn