alpha2

Stitching the D-ring connection on rolled handle-help!

So I've tried to figure this out via youtube videos, but haven't found one yet that actually shows the precise moment I need to see. When the flap is sewn together at the ends of handle, how is the transition made to the other side of the stitching?

I tried a couple of ways, neither was the proper method, as indicated by the nasty job I made of it. On one template, there were 8 stitching holes each side, with one at the point. That was interesting. The other one I saw had just the 8 or 9 holes on each side, without one at the point. The image below is the latter. Neither method is clear to me as to making the stitching transition from one side, past the point and to the other side.

handledetail.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the issue. I would use a round hole at the tip and just continue sewing around and down the other side.

18 hours ago, alpha2 said:

So I've tried to figure this out via youtube videos, but haven't found one yet that actually shows the precise moment I need to see. When the flap is sewn together at the ends of handle, how is the transition made to the other side of the stitching?

I tried a couple of ways, neither was the proper method, as indicated by the nasty job I made of it. On one template, there were 8 stitching holes each side, with one at the point. That was interesting. The other one I saw had just the 8 or 9 holes on each side, without one at the point. The image below is the latter. Neither method is clear to me as to making the stitching transition from one side, past the point and to the other side.

handledetail.jpg

Ok here is a video with a method and yes its is hard to see what's going on, i was going to reply last night but a glass or three of wine put paid to that, as it is would be easy to show you in person but hard to explain without the help of a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfpT4Tkq6gM

Notice how she gets to end of where needs to be stitched around 10 06 she back stitches one but only she angles the needle up between the turn being stitched so the needles can be put through the join pulled under the turn to the opposite side that has to be stitched prick your strap now put your needle through the prick mark from the inside of the turn one stitch mark up and do another back stitch to match both sides up hope this is making sense.  (It maybe better for you to leave the last stitch a little loose until you have threaded the needles to the other side leave enough thread pull tight on the first side being stitched once the needles are through and once they are it should be easy enough to those stitches tight enough)  

Hope this helps

JCUK  

Edited by jcuk
Add another method

From Stohlman's The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol. 2.

sewing-points.jpg

With that particular type of turn most will just stitch through the filler at the point stitch which would have been skived down to fit under the turn.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

That's helps a lot. I see what JH did on hers. Hadn't thought of that. The Stohlman method is interesting and would work just as well, and appears to be easier. Hadn't thought about doing that X stitch to get the threads to the other side. 

Thanks!

Jeff

I just tried it myself and it was interesting to say the least.  Good luck. This is my new shooting bag.  It was an experiment and I can imagine the next one.

Shooting Bag before edge work.jpg

I love this forum. "How do I do that?" has got to be the greatest thing of all time.

Thanks all.  I had been thinking of making a handle like this for a project and you just solved a problem I didn't realize I had yet.

21 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

Thanks all.  I had been thinking of making a handle like this for a project and you just solved a problem I didn't realize I had yet.

Bob, Teran Atalier has a video on youbube that shows the process, and has a downloadable (free) PDF pattern. The title on YT is 

How to Make Rolled Leather Bag Handles (Free PDF Pattern)

It's the pattern I used on my first handle. I didn't use the side stitching route that everyone seems to take. I butted the edges together and used a baseball stitch. (Ignore the nasty stitching on the flaps on that handle, I hadn't done a saddle stitch in some years, and it got a bit wonky. Should've practiced again before I started.)

Then, I discovered the corset stitch, so I practiced some of that on the x-acto handles for my next rolled handle.

rolled1.jpg

corsethandles1_2.jpg

alph2:

Thanks for that information. I'm definitely going to check out that video.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, alpha2 said:

Bob, Teran Atalier has a video on youbube that shows the process, and has a downloadable (free) PDF pattern. The title on YT is 

How to Make Rolled Leather Bag Handles (Free PDF Pattern)

It's the pattern I used on my first handle. I didn't use the side stitching route that everyone seems to take. I butted the edges together and used a baseball stitch. (Ignore the nasty stitching on the flaps on that handle, I hadn't done a saddle stitch in some years, and it got a bit wonky. Should've practiced again before I started.)

Then, I discovered the corset stitch, so I practiced some of that on the x-acto handles for my next rolled handle.

rolled1.jpg

corsethandles1_2.jpg

Thanks for the tip to the video!  Also, very cool work on the Xacto knife stitch.

Thanks, Bob!