Sign in to follow this  
RichBliven

Sailrite

Does anyone have experience with Sailrite? As a novice, I (like many others) am growing tired of hand sewing as my production has been picking up. I came across the Sailrite Leatherwork machine and it appears to be a decent product, and it's within my financial wheelhouse. I typically do small items, like wallets, valet trays and the like. I feel like it would be good for what I do, but have zero experience with leather machines. Does anyone have any experience with these - or an opinion? Thanks...

4 hours ago, RichBliven said:

Does anyone have experience with Sailrite? As a novice, I (like many others) am growing tired of hand sewing as my production has been picking up. I came across the Sailrite Leatherwork machine and it appears to be a decent product, and it's within my financial wheelhouse. I typically do small items, like wallets, valet trays and the like. I feel like it would be good for what I do, but have zero experience with leather machines. Does anyone have any experience with these - or an opinion? Thanks...

In my opinion Sailrite has top quality machines, OUTSTANDING customer support, tremendous product and training videos and every one of my dealings with them have left me happy to be their client.

Even though I already had two industrial sewing machines (flatbed and cylinder arm) for some reason I lusted after the Sailrite LSZ-1 Premium.  I really had no pressing need for a portable machine, nor for zig-zag stitches, but I just wanted one.  I came very close to buying one of the Sailrite clones but then was convinced by word of mouth, comparison videos and reviews that Sailrite was the way to go.  And I'm super happy with my Sailrite.  Is it the right machine for every job?  No.  But if that had been my first machine, very likely I would not have bought anything else, other than perhaps a cylinder arm machine (I do a lot of bags).  I bought mine just before they introduced the WorkerB servo motor and I upgraded to that as soon as it was available.  Completely transformed the machine and I can stitch one stitch at a time when needed.  I love the machine!  Of course I added one of their tables and that made it even better.

From everything I've seen about the Leatherwork machine, it's great.  Are there others?  Of course.  Consew, Juki and Cowboy, for example.  But I don't think you can go far wrong with the Sailrite.

12 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

In my opinion Sailrite has top quality machines, OUTSTANDING customer support, tremendous product and training videos and every one of my dealings with them have left me happy to be their client.

Even though I already had two industrial sewing machines (flatbed and cylinder arm) for some reason I lusted after the Sailrite LSZ-1 Premium.  I really had no pressing need for a portable machine, nor for zig-zag stitches, but I just wanted one.  I came very close to buying one of the Sailrite clones but then was convinced by word of mouth, comparison videos and reviews that Sailrite was the way to go.  And I'm super happy with my Sailrite.  Is it the right machine for every job?  No.  But if that had been my first machine, very likely I would not have bought anything else, other than perhaps a cylinder arm machine (I do a lot of bags).  I bought mine just before they introduced the WorkerB servo motor and I upgraded to that as soon as it was available.  Completely transformed the machine and I can stitch one stitch at a time when needed.  I love the machine!  Of course I added one of their tables and that made it even better.

From everything I've seen about the Leatherwork machine, it's great.  Are there others?  Of course.  Consew, Juki and Cowboy, for example.  But I don't think you can go far wrong with the Sailrite.

Awesome, thank you. From what I’ve seen your response seems more than appropriate. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. 

19 hours ago, RichBliven said:

As a novice, I (like many others) am growing tired of hand sewing as my production has been picking up.

I have used the both the older Reliable Barracuda and the older Sailrite LS-1 but have no experience with the new Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PREMIUM Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack. The price of ~$1600 US for a semi industrial portable sewing machine is a little rich for my blood. That said if you are limited on space like on a sail boat repairing sail fabric which is what they were design to do or in a small apartment then paying the premium price maybe be the answer. If you like the Sailrite line of products and their service for an extra $200 you could get their industrial sewing machine called the Fabricator which I think is a clone of the Singer 111. 

For those prices and you have the space for an industrial machine you could get:

1. a Juki DNU-1541S (Price example: www.sewingmachinesplus.com/juki-1541s.php ) at ~$1800 which would have a better selection of parts / accessories and resale value then a portable machine.

2. a Consew 206RB-5 (Price example: www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html ) at ~$1500 US which would have a better selection of parts / accessories and resale value then a portable machine.

kgg