Treesner

high clearance arbor press

anyone know of an arbor press with higher clearance than normal? 

I dont really need something much stronger than 1/2-1ton as I'd like to use one of these magnetic chucks to hold different leather tools/stamps

https://www.mathews-engineering.com/store/p15/Arbor_Press_Magnetic_Pin_Press_1%2F2"_Chuck_Tool.html

it seems like the 2 ton presses might be tall enough to accept the chuck and the tool but they are more money/larger/heavier so wondering if you know of another option 

It depends on what kind of pressure you are looking for there . . . but if it is just stamping pressure for stamping leather . . . you should be able to use something like a 4 inch air cylinder . . . mount the magnetic chuck to it . . .  build an angle iron box to sit it in . . .  you could make it any height you want.

Push the down air button . . . the stamp comes down . . . up button sends it back up . . . regulate the pressure to get the stamping depth you want.

I use one I built to cut out leather key fobs . . . it's a bit hokey in one respect . . .  but the end product is well worth my expense and effort I went to.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Treesner said:

anyone know of an arbor press with higher clearance than normal? 

I dont really need something much stronger than 1/2-1ton as I'd like to use one of these magnetic chucks to hold different leather tools/stamps

https://www.mathews-engineering.com/store/p15/Arbor_Press_Magnetic_Pin_Press_1%2F2"_Chuck_Tool.html

it seems like the 2 ton presses might be tall enough to accept the chuck and the tool but they are more money/larger/heavier so wondering if you know of another option 

Most arbor presses are geared all the way from top to bottom of the ram. You just have to undo the side piece, pull out the side with the bar on it  and raise the clearance before putting it together again. Quicker to do it than write it. On mine the left hand side is always off so I can raise/lower as required.

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

It depends on what kind of pressure you are looking for there . . . but if it is just stamping pressure for stamping leather . . . you should be able to use something like a 4 inch air cylinder . . . mount the magnetic chuck to it . . .  build an angle iron box to sit it in . . .  you could make it any height you want.

Push the down air button . . . the stamp comes down . . . up button sends it back up . . . regulate the pressure to get the stamping depth you want.

I use one I built to cut out leather key fobs . . . it's a bit hokey in one respect . . .  but the end product is well worth my expense and effort I went to.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think I would be cutting strap ends, cutting slots and hole and stamping logos. don't have compressed air in the leather area but interesting solution 

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Most arbor presses are geared all the way from top to bottom of the ram. You just have to undo the side piece, pull out the side with the bar on it  and raise the clearance before putting it together again. Quicker to do it than write it. On mine the left hand side is always off so I can raise/lower as required.

do you have a photo I don't follow 

the guy who makes the chuck recommends this press but its a 3 ton so pretty expensive 

Baileigh press brakes are very nice and an excellent bang for the buck with lots of room under the ram:

Here's a demo video of the 1/2" chuck tool used in a Baileigh AP-3R 3-ton arbor press:

also for reference

The 1/2" chuck with the magnetic back plate is 2.9" high

1 hour ago, Treesner said:

Here's a demo video of the 1/2" chuck tool used in a Baileigh AP-3R 3-ton arbor press:

also for reference

The 1/2" chuck with the magnetic back plate is 2.9" high

In the demo video . . .  he was using a punch to make holes in a piece of aluminum that looked to be maybe an eighth of an inch thick.  That takes a whole bunch more muscle than to just do some stamping in damp leather.

I went out to my shop . . . couldn't recall if my press was 1 ton or half ton . . . it's a 1 ton from Harbor freight . . . 

There is a piece of 1/8 inch flat stock steel under the leather and a full size stamping tool standing.  You can put the magnetic chuck on the end of the ram . . . and would probably want to cut an inch off each stamping tool . . . but it should work like a champ.

The other thing you could do  . . .  remove the arm . . . take it to a machine shop . . .  have them drill the arm for you . . . and put a set screw in the side of it that would be tightened with an allen wrench.  Slip the stamping tool up in there . . . tighten with the allen wrench  . . . stamp to your little heart's content.  I might even put masking tape on the outside of my stamps . . . just push them up in there . .  . friction would hold them.

But then again . . . why don't you show us exactly what kind of stamping you want to do . . . it might make a difference on how you accomplish it.

I use my ram to set any letters for initials or names and I use up to 1 inch letters . . . never have a problem.  And if I wanted a magnetic tool holder . . .  I'd put a flat magnet on the bottom of the ram . . .  and slip a standard drill chuck up to it with the stamping tool . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

one ton press.jpg

8 hours ago, Treesner said:

I think I would be cutting strap ends, cutting slots and hole and stamping logos. don't have compressed air in the leather area but interesting solution 

do you have a photo I don't follow 

This is just one youtube video that shows what you can do with an arbor press. Check out the back of the ram. Can be raised or lowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqCYOCPD-58

13 hours ago, toxo said:

This is just one youtube video that shows what you can do with an arbor press. Check out the back of the ram. Can be raised or lowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqCYOCPD-58

magnet is an interesting idea, if figured it would just break the magnet under the pressure but looks like its working of setting snaps for him

4 hours ago, Treesner said:

do you think 150 pound press is enough for stamping leather with a 1.5x1.5 stamp and cutting slots and holes though leather?

this K+M one is pretty tall and have an extra long feature as well 

https://kmshooting.com/product/arbor-press/

It won't have the leverage you will need, it's not designed like most arbor presses. You don't need a lot of pressure/force to re-size cartridge cases.

7 hours ago, Treesner said:

do you think 150 pound press is enough for stamping leather with a 1.5x1.5 stamp and cutting slots and holes though leather?

this K+M one is pretty tall and have an extra long feature as well 

https://kmshooting.com/product/arbor-press/

In a one word answer . . .  no . . . it is a toy compared to the one I showed you above.  

Show me what you want to cut / punch / stamp / or whatever you are trying to do. 

I don't mean to sound hard on you . . . but you have done a lot of talking . . . but have not fully offered any idea of exactly what you are wanting to do.  Give us something more to work with (pictures are great) . . . and we can help you more.

May God bless,

Dwight

Just a thought.  A drill press can be used as a arbor press.  Lets be honest here, you are going to use the press for a clicker die and setting snaps we are not talking more than 1 ton of pressure. I would look around at fleas markets nd pawn shops for an older drill press and robust rack and pinion gears

9 hours ago, Dwight said:

In a one word answer . . .  no . . . it is a toy compared to the one I showed you above.  

Show me what you want to cut / punch / stamp / or whatever you are trying to do. 

I don't mean to sound hard on you . . . but you have done a lot of talking . . . but have not fully offered any idea of exactly what you are wanting to do.  Give us something more to work with (pictures are great) . . . and we can help you more.

May God bless,

Dwight

lol i wouldn't trust it for reloading.

41 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol i wouldn't trust it for reloading.

$148.00  LOL   NOT ME!!

I would use that press in my reloading room for DE-capping. I believe it could handle that job. It looks to wimpy to actually press lead

My Herters and Pacifica  are doing a fine job 

Interesting modification but those extended legs have to affect the overall rigidity.

A broaching arbor press has a taller opening in order to put the broaches in.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR