I'm making a new speed holster.  The idea is to hold the gun tight so you can actually turn it upside down without having it fall out but it has to be comfortable and the gun must come out quickly when you go for your draw.

It's a copy of a friend ( Ernie Hill ) design and he lets me make them with his blessing.  The holster gets a second piece for the strap and that is attached to the three T-Nuts you can see.

I decided to basket weave it and to put my initials and maker's mark on it.  First time I'm painting my initials and I hope it works.  I was in Tandy today and was told to use Resoline as a stop over the paint and then use Antiquing instead of dye.  The salesperson said dye would cover my red paint no matter what I did to prevent it.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there a better way?  I normally use tan dye.

Holster on cushin before dye and forming.jpg

AZ the speed holsters I've seen do not hold the gun tight. The whole idea in a speed holster as far as I know is to get the gun out fast. The holster provides little or no resistance when drawn. I would think that if you can turn it upside down and the gun not fall out then thats to tight.I'm talking competition speed shooting with revolvers.  

I would oil, dye, paint, resist, antique then finish.  

45 minutes ago, bland said:

I would oil, dye, paint, resist, antique then finish.  

What bland said.  I've had good results using resoline with an artist brush and cover the painted letters with a few coats to seal.  When dying use a brush to work in tight around the letters and a ways out so you have room for your normal dye application.

Let that dry up, apply the antique and seal the whole affair.

Thanks for the replies.  That's what I needed to know.

Bret:  I know the rules, been doing it for over 30 years.  Yes, speed on the draw is very importent but you need the retention when walking around.  Man of the new plastic holster lock the gun in place.  When you are beginning the shoot, you unlock it.  I've seen lots of guns drop their gun at this point.  

The way I described it is an old rule but I still make my holsters that way.  

I too am a revolver shooter.  I'm Master Class in Steel Challenge and A in USPSA. Here's one of my finished holsters for matches.

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

I used to shoot IDPA.  This beyond me. Very nice work.