coma44

I got the 97-10 up and running on its own power

Back around new years I picked up an old military 97-10 singer . I put modern belts on it and re wired the power drop and cord . After a few nights of tweeking the tensions and playing with needles. I got it stitching really nice.

PSX_20220204_052102.jpg

1 minute ago, coma44 said:

Back around new years I picked up an old military 97-10 singer . I put modern belts on it and re wired the power drop and cord . After a few nights of tweeking the tensions and playing with needles. I got it stitching really nice.

PSX_20220204_052102.jpg

Nice work looks like your good to go

7 hours ago, coma44 said:

PSX_20220204_052102.jpg

Looks great! How's the reverse?

I'd love to see a video of your machine running. Not a huge number of 97s around, certainly this side of the pond.

9 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I'd love to see a video of your machine running. Not a huge number of 97s around, certainly this side of the pond.

I did not know it would reverse.....I have not tried it......when i ended some os the test strips i kust spun them around and went into the holes before.

There is not a reverse lever like the only other machine I ever ran.....

6 minutes ago, coma44 said:

I did not know it would reverse...

There is not a reverse lever like the only other machine I ever ran.....

Ah, I meant the reverse side!

when i ended some os the test strips i kust spun them around and went into the holes before

Old-school reverse ;-)

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Ah, I meant the reverse side!

Old-school reverse ;-)

Ok yea now that makes sense. Here is the back side.

PSX_20220204_140511.jpg

It's running like a top, knock on wood.

The only thing that jumps out on me is that your needle may be too large for the thread, but I'll let more experienced members correct me on that.

5 hours ago, DrmCa said:

It's running like a top, knock on wood.

The only thing that jumps out on me is that your needle may be too large for the thread, but I'll let more experienced members correct me on that.

It is on the upper end of what the 277 thread will fill for sure. I don't have a smaller needle or larger thread yet.  It is a 25 sized 331 needle. Think I can squeeze 346 in it though ..I also have size 26 in 331.....so much to try and so much to learn. 

8 hours ago, coma44 said:

I did not know it would reverse.....I have not tried it......when i ended some os the test strips i just spun them around and went into the holes before.

I call this Poor Man's Reverse. Many of my old Singer sewing machines, with which I pay my bills, have this type of reverse! Only three of the 11 sewing machines in my shop have Rich Man's Reverse (via a lever).

12 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I call this Poor Man's Reverse. Many of my old Singer sewing machines, with which I pay my bills, have this type of reverse! Only three of the 11 sewing machines in my shop have Rich Man's Reverse (via a lever).

Yea i can see that. While I wanted to go whole hog and buy cobra, cowboy or a techsew with all the bells and accessories the budget was not going to get me there for a while. I got the 97-10 for way less then half of a new machine and have one spent 200 more to get it up and running. New modern Belts on both the motor to fly wheel and from the clutch up to the head. I made a new clutch disk out of some 11-12 weight leather i had left over and it works perfect. I can get very good control of the speed and with some planning I can slow to a stop right where i need to. And now that I have it up and running I can see myself making lots of parts for it. I am a machinist / CNC programmer and can make about anything.  I have a design in my head to be able to use the 794 needles with out lowering the needle bar. 

I thought I new what a 97-10 was, but thought I'd look it up to make sure - I was wrong and didn't know! Wow, what a beautiful looking piece of gear.:specool:

19 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

For sure. Honestly as someone who sew tons of belts and straps. I doubt I need reverse. I just run a stitch around the entire piece and run over my original threads. I doubt my Juki 441 clone even knows what the reverse lever does.

Makes me think that in the future I could pick up a singer and not even worry about reverse.

PSX_20220205_214729.jpg.6eb9ffdc90d70fe0be04f024df5ef0a7.jpg

4 hours ago, Gulrok said:

For sure. Honestly as someone who sew tons of belts and straps. I doubt I need reverse. I just run a stitch around the entire piece and run over my original threads. I doubt my Juki 441 clone even knows what the reverse lever does.

Makes me think that in the future I could pick up a singer and not even worry about reverse.

Here she is in the cellar I got her out of.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

I thought I new what a 97-10 was, but thought I'd look it up to make sure - I was wrong and didn't know! Wow, what a beautiful looking piece of gear.:specool:

I had only ever seen pictures. They don't really do it justice

2 hours ago, coma44 said:

Here she is in the cellar I got her out of.

What beautiful piece of iron. None of the newer machines look that nice.

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

What beautiful piece of iron. None of the newer machines look that nice.

kgg

Agreed. I feel kind of lucky to be the owner of a piece of history.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, Matt S said:

Matt I will try to do one this week. Might have to post it to YouTube. So I can link it here

15 hours ago, coma44 said:

I had only ever seen pictures. They don't really do it justice

The Singer 97-10 machines were often carried on military aircraft and were used to sew and repair tow straps that parachuted people and equipment onto battle fields.

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Singer 97-10 machines were often carried on military aircraft and were used to sew and repair tow straps that parachuted people and equipment onto battle fields.

And that is where this came from.  The man who had it before me was in the service for 25 years. He bought as surplus before he retired. I don't think he ever finished getting it set up and running.

1 hour ago, coma44 said:

And that is where this came from.  The man who had it before me was in the service for 25 years. He bought as surplus before he retired. I don't think he ever finished getting it set up and running.

That thing is beautiful good luck with it .

4 minutes ago, Samalan said:

That thing is beautiful good luck with it .

Thanks.  Loving it so far.

Well I got the video of the new wireing and belt loaded up to you tube. I will try to do some more videos this week if I get time.

new power and belt no head on base

I'm working on mine. Trying to understand what the presser bar clutch does and how to adjust it and wondering why mine does a really high second presser foot lift. The presser foot in the military video on YouTube barely lifts at all. 

9 hours ago, Vincent said:

I'm working on mine. Trying to understand what the presser bar clutch does and how to adjust it and wondering why mine does a really high second presser foot lift. The presser foot in the military video on YouTube barely lifts at all. 

Mine was all gummed up and was lifting very erratic. I lubed it up each day that I fiddled with the machine and once it sunk in it stopped lifting all together. The set screw on the left side that controls the clamp pressure was not touching the block at all. I snugged that up and now it lifts around 1/8 inch above the material.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, Wizcrafts said:

You know, I've been running stitchers for almost 20 years now and I can't seem to wrap my head around a reverse....Even when I run something modern like and Adler 205 I never use it.I guess old habits die hard!