coma44

I got the 97-10 up and running on its own power

20 hours ago, Vincent said:

I'm working on mine. Trying to understand what the presser bar clutch does and how to adjust it and wondering why mine does a really high second presser foot lift. The presser foot in the military video on YouTube barely lifts at all. 

My 97-10 works this way....... When I want to lower the presser foot, I press upward on the bottom of the presser foot pedal to drop the presser foot.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:17 AM, coma44 said:

Yea i can see that. While I wanted to go whole hog and buy cobra, cowboy or a techsew with all the bells and accessories the budget was not going to get me there for a while. I got the 97-10 for way less then half of a new machine and have one spent 200 more to get it up and running. New modern Belts on both the motor to fly wheel and from the clutch up to the head. I made a new clutch disk out of some 11-12 weight leather i had left over and it works perfect. I can get very good control of the speed and with some planning I can slow to a stop right where i need to. And now that I have it up and running I can see myself making lots of parts for it. I am a machinist / CNC programmer and can make about anything.  I have a design in my head to be able to use the 794 needles with out lowering the needle bar. 

There are people looking for the bottom needle guide and the one above the needle.  You might consider making those for sale.

glenn

55 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

There are people looking for the bottom needle guide and the one above the needle.  You might consider making those for sale.

glenn

That is my plan. Working out how to get it done as effective as I can. Have to do my real day job first so I can live indoors. 

2 hours ago, coma44 said:

That is my plan. Working out how to get it done as effective as I can. Have to do my real day job first so I can live indoors. 

I suffer from the same affliction!

20 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

glenn

Hi Glenn ..hope you are doing well..

Re: Singer 97-10 or a 97-6 in my case...

I'm looking for these guides as well.. a forum member gave me all the dimensions/pictures of a lower guide and I had a shop lined up to machine a number of them ..but grrrrr *!###... it never happened...next shop ..same thing.. day job workshop "we can do that".. 7 years later..nada... (Looking a machining a particular grade of steel to case harden - plenty of places here that can do it...but have to stump up $$$$ to get an order underway - small jobbing shops are long gone)

took 3 years to get a simple cam roller made for a BUSM #2... a lot to be said about "want to do something - do it yourself"....gave up and focused on my Campbell Randall needle/awl refit ... then restoring 4 x 29K (58&13) to sell and clear space.... lol! - to make room for woodworking machinery..

So - from my dealings - there is a demand for these.

6 minutes ago, gordond said:

Hi Glenn ..hope you are doing well..

Re: Singer 97-10 or a 97-6 in my case...

I'm looking for these guides as well.. a forum member gave me all the dimensions/pictures of a lower guide and I had a shop lined up to machine a number of them ..but grrrrr *!###... it never happened...next shop ..same thing.. day job workshop "we can do that".. 7 years later..nada... (Looking a machining a particular grade of steel to case harden - plenty of places here that can do it...but have to stump up $$$$ to get an order underway - small jobbing shops are long gone)

took 3 years to get a simple cam roller made for a BUSM #2... a lot to be said about "want to do something - do it yourself"....gave up and focused on my Campbell Randall needle/awl refit ... then restoring 4 x 29K (58&13) to sell and clear space.... lol! - to make room for woodworking machinery..

So - from my dealings - there is a demand for these.

I can see smaller shops not wanting to do these parts as they are low volume and multiple set ups on each part if you don't have a 5 axis machine.  Do you still have the drawings of these parts? If you can scan them that might shorten my design time.

1 minute ago, coma44 said:

I can see smaller shops not wanting to do these parts as they are low volume and multiple set ups on each part if you don't have a 5 axis machine.  Do you still have the drawings of these parts? If you can scan them that might shorten my design time.

Yes... I have them on my day job PC ..will grab them and send to you ... I'll contact you through via your profile messaging.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:06 AM, gordond said:

Yes... I have them on my day job PC ..will grab them and send to you ... I'll contact you through via your profile messaging.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:06 AM, gordond said:

On 2/5/2022 at 7:17 AM, coma44 said:

Yea i can see that. While I wanted to go whole hog and buy cobra, cowboy or a techsew with all the bells and accessories the budget was not going to get me there for a while. I got the 97-10 for way less then half of a new machine and have one spent 200 more to get it up and running. New modern Belts on both the motor to fly wheel and from the clutch up to the head. I made a new clutch disk out of some 11-12 weight leather i had left over and it works perfect. I can get very good control of the speed and with some planning I can slow to a stop right where i need to. And now that I have it up and running I can see myself making lots of parts for it. I am a machinist / CNC programmer and can make about anything.  I have a design in my head to be able to use the 794 needles with out lowering the needle bar. 

glenn

Coma44

Can we see pics of the 97-6.  Is that head only or on  the treadle that Singer made for the machine?

glenn

42 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

glenn

Coma44

Can we see pics of the 97-6.  Is that head only or on  the treadle that Singer made for the machine?

glenn

Yea I want to do that but it will take me a bit to get the ball rolling. but I will be selling parts for sure at some point this year.

great!!!

2 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

glenn

Singer made 10 versions of the 97 ...5 shorter throat(97-1 to 97-5) and 2 of the 10 were not on power stands .inc the restored 97-6 shown here.. 

FB_IMG_1559028910644.jpg

On 2/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, gordond said:

Singer made 10 versions of the 97 ...5 shorter throat(97-1 to 97-5) and 2 of the 10 were not on power stands .inc the restored 97-6 shown here.. 

FB_IMG_1559028910644.jpg

I would love to make mine look like that.

gordond,

Machine looks fabulous..    Nice job.  You got any 97x3 or 97x4 needles

glenn

45 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

gordond,

Machine looks fabulous..    Nice job.  You got any 97x3 or 97x4 needles

glenn

Not that many unfortunately... None to sell sorry.

Looking at using 331LR needles (used in the Pearson /BUSM #6) .... haven't tried them yet. ... there is a discussion on this forum about them for the Singer 97.

Machine is on table now with a servo ..but needs a reducer.. and of course lower needle guide (don't want to trash those needles)

On 2/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, coma44 said:

Coma44,

So glad you gave her a new life, outside of the cellar! Thanks for showing us. She is lovely.

If 97x4 needles fit I have some.  In 22 and 23 sizes.  

On 4/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, catskin said:

If 97x4 needles fit I have some.  In 22 and 23 sizes.  

Do you still have thes?