hickok55

What piece of leather to use for chaps?

What cut of a cow hide would you use to make chaps?

I use "chap" leather. It is available in thin and standard, where the thin chap is about 4-5 ounces and the thick is about 5-6 ounces. There is even thicker sometimes, up to maybe 6-7 oz. Check with Springfield Leather, Zack White Leather, Weaver Leather, Hide House and ALD.

I will move this to the Suppliers section of the forum. This section requires approval before any posts or replies appear.

I usually buy "sides" but cut them from the back area.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I use "chap" leather. It is available in thin and standard, where the thin chap is about 4-5 ounces and the thick is about 5-6 ounces. There is even thicker sometimes, up to maybe 6-7 oz. Check with Springfield Leather, Zack White Leather, Weaver Leather, Hide House and ALD.

thank you for the help

1 hour ago, jrdunn said:

I usually buy "sides" but cut them from the back area.

do you get two legs out of the same side

Rarely.  I usually select the leather by what the "customer"(be they self, friends, family or customers).  I saw that you watched Springfield Leather's Chaps video.  You should remember that SLC had a whole warehouse of leather to choose from to find their side.  You will have one to choose from.  If you call your leather shop, they might check "your side" to see if two legs will fit before they send it.  I dunno.

JM2C,

Jim

Thank you a lot. I'll ask them and if not I'll just have to get a bigger piece of leather

20 hours ago, hickok55 said:

Thank you a lot. I'll ask them and if not I'll just have to get a bigger piece of leather

I don't know if this will work for you, but upholstery leather is sometimes sold as whole hides of 50 square feet or more.There is some heavy weight upholstery leather that might be tough enough for chap use. You could use the left overs to recover a chair or two.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I don't know if this will work for you, but upholstery leather is sometimes sold as whole hides of 50 square feet or more.There is some heavy weight upholstery leather that might be tough enough for chap use. You could use the left overs to recover a chair or two.

that might work i'll look in to it.

Edited by hickok55

Question, does the thickness vary with style, in other words, batwings fit pretty loose so thicker leather okay but shotguns fit close- might help if thinner.

1 hour ago, Davm said:

Question, does the thickness vary with style, in other words, batwings fit pretty loose so thicker leather okay but shotguns fit close- might help if thinner.

i heard for work shotgun chaps they are made of 4-5oz and shotgun chaps at are for show are made from 3-4oz leather but a lot of people say different things. =D