wildbill56

Thread type

I'm a newby and my first belt I hand sewed with white Tiger thread but the thread was darker and dull looking when I finished.  I read somewhere that is due to passing the thread through every stitching hole.  If that is true does anyone have any advice on another type of thread that it won't happen to or other tips.

Edited by wildbill56

Did you try wiping the stitching with a clean, white cloth?  Sometimes that helps.  But over time, just from wearing, the thread is going to soil.  Everybody is going to have different suggestions, but personally, you can seldom go wrong with black thread.  Sure, it doesn't "pop" like some other thread colors, but for belts and such I think it is fine.  Otherwise, off white thread, cream, ivory, etc. are probably less prone to having an issue, especially if you wipe them down after.  I've heard some say to limit the length of your thread.  They argue that if the thread doesn't pass through as many holes, then it won't get as dirty.  I see pros and cons with that.  Personally I like longer thread to prevent having to start/stop too much.  

The other thing is to determine whether it is just from rubbing against the leather or if it is pulling glue out as it passes through.  I like to use double-sided tape for certain things, but I think it is more prone to discoloring the thread.  Probably true of contact adhesive too, being rubbery.  Maybe folks who use other glues can give their opinion if those seem to be less prone to discoloring the thread.

What color was the belt? Did you dye it?
1) I have read that using shorter lengths of thread will help keep those light colored threads looking nicer. 
2) Apply finish (Resolene, etc.) before stitching, to help keep the color down. 
3) Use a cream or beige colored thread with darker leather colors. I have some Ritza beige, and I prefer it to the bright starkness of the white thread. 

Edited by DJole

On 2/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, wildbill56 said:

I'm a newby and my first belt I hand sewed with white Tiger thread but the thread was darker and dull looking when I finished.  I read somewhere that is due to passing the thread through every stitching hole.  If that is true does anyone have any advice on another type of thread that it won't happen to or other tips.

I use exclusively black thread because I laser cut stuff - so the thread always looks soiled.

With that being said, give yourself an extra 6-8 inches of thread on each side. Your first few inches of thread will be soiled but the other stuff should be fine. That works for most people. 

I know . . . it's not the same . . . it's not traditional "saddle stitching" . . . 

All I can say is "so what??" 

Hundreds of belts are sold each week with sewing machine stitching . . . which is the same stitching one gets from this kind of tool . . . and the thread will be as white on the first stitch as it is on the last one . . . which on a 50 inch long belt at 6 stitches per inch . . . that's 600 stitches . . . 

I often sew things with one of these . . . and I'm always satisfied with the end product.

May God bless,

Dwight

23 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I often sew things with one of these

With one of ???????????:)

40 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

With one of ???????????:)

Thanks tsuniasapa . . .  left my brain on the kitchen table I think . . .

Anyway . . .  this is it..........  https://www.ebay.com/itm/401619926644?hash=item5d8269be74:g:SeAAAOSw52NdHXAP

May God bless,

Dwight

Just clean your project with saddle soap when you are done.   Soap makes things clean.