tibi

Leatherworking first steps and tools-

Thanks FREDK. I thought there was a chart of leather uses on Tandy but I couldn't seem to find it, only the weight/thickness guide

And TIBI, Fred's right, once you start you soon get used to what does what

Edited by zuludog

4 hours ago, tibi said:

Yes, woodworkers suffer from this. They either have too many tools on their shelves gathering dust or they have the top-tier brand loyalty, i.e. all the tools must be Lie-Nielsen/Veritas (it is like Apple only household for those who do not know woodworking brands). And they build those beautiful wall cabinets with all matching tools inside. Such a cabinet worth of tools can cost you up to 10 000 USD. Leatherworking tools are cheap compared to that, if you do not count leather working machines.If I would start talking about woodworking machines, quality stuff costs a fortune.

I know, I've been telling everybody here that leatherworking is extremely cheap, they don't believe me :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Spyros said:

I know, I've been telling everybody here that leatherworking is extremely cheap, they don't believe me :dunno:

A hammer, hand saw and pocket knife can make alot of wood projects. same as wood working you can buy cheap or you can buy expensive. You can do by hand or buy a dozen machines. The loose term woodworking or leather working covers a big area. Tool junkies just don't hide in wood shops lol. But historically I think we got the urge from the trades, back in the day most wood workers , blacksmiths, leather workers, etc made the majority of their tools during their apprenticeship, So naturally they became very proud of their tools.

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

A hammer, hand saw and pocket knife can make alot of wood projects.

Sure, I don't disagree.  But a hammer, handsaw and pocket knife can also NOT make about 90% of common woodworking projects, at least not to any kind of quality and finishing.  Unless you want to spend a month carving out a chair with a pocket knife.

In leatherworking however with a drawer worth of tools you can literally make 90% of common leather projects (except shoes).  And you can make them to absolute perfection and within a very reasonable timeframe.

That's the difference, and the appeal.  In leatherworking you get a lot of "finished project" satisfaction for very little initial outlay. 

Edited by Spyros

9 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Sure, I don't disagree.  But a hammer, handsaw and pocket knife can also NOT make about 90% of common woodworking projects, at least not to any kind of quality and finishing.  Unless you want to spend a month carving out a chair with a pocket knife.

In leatherworking however with a drawer worth of tools you can literally make 90% of common leather projects (except shoes).  And you can make them to absolute perfection and within a very reasonable timeframe.

That's the difference, and the appeal.  In leatherworking you get a lot of "finished project" satisfaction for very little initial outlay. 

How long would it take to make a saddle with just three leather tools and would it be perfect? .My comment was directed more toward the vagueness of the two  terms we throw around and our human need to collect tools lol. But way off topic! Sorry friend.

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

How long would it take to make a saddle with just three leather tools and would it be perfect? .My comment was directed more toward the vagueness of the two  terms we throw around and our human need to collect tools lol. But way off topic! Sorry friend.

All good, all good.  But I said *common* leather projects, saddles aren't common.  Well at least in most of the world they arent, but then again you are in Wyoming :)